Classic Collection Sting Rays

Re: Classic Collection Sting Rays

Postby Sloom » Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 am

Just chiming in here, if you guys'll excuse me- it's becoming my experience that just about nothing is "the same" as it used to be. I know I sound like an old coot here, but Fender is the same way. The new US made P-basses, etc. don't sound like the old P-basses, etc. Maybe there are two reasons for this, generally speaking...

1) Manufacturing in general- for everything- has suffered. Parts, etc, including wood, from overseas is not as good as when everything was made in one place, by people who not only cared but made a decent living doing it.

2) Things mellow and settle over years of use, and I'm sure that they end up sounding different, whatever the precise reason is.

I hear the part about the old vs the new preamps, all that. Specs aren't everything- it's as much about how the part is made and what it's made of as it is about specs. EB is subject to the same changes across-the-board as everyone else who's trying to manufacture something cool. They're fighting a supply line which is tainted by "The Man" who's continually finding or inventing cheaper ways to fill his pockets. It's going to be at everyone else's expense- it's a natural law.

Okay, all done now, thanks! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Thu May 13, 2010 5:59 am

Sloom wrote:Just chiming in here, if you guys'll excuse me- it's becoming my experience that just about nothing is "the same" as it used to be. I know I sound like an old coot here, but Fender is the same way. The new US made P-basses, etc. don't sound like the old P-basses, etc. Maybe there are two reasons for this, generally speaking...

1) Manufacturing in general- for everything- has suffered. Parts, etc, including wood, from overseas is not as good as when everything was made in one place, by people who not only cared but made a decent living doing it.

2) Things mellow and settle over years of use, and I'm sure that they end up sounding different, whatever the precise reason is.

I hear the part about the old vs the new preamps, all that. Specs aren't everything- it's as much about how the part is made and what it's made of as it is about specs. EB is subject to the same changes across-the-board as everyone else who's trying to manufacture something cool. They're fighting a supply line which is tainted by "The Man" who's continually finding or inventing cheaper ways to fill his pockets. It's going to be at everyone else's expense- it's a natural law.

Okay, all done now, thanks! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

I hear ya and well said [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

BUT...with the Bass at hand, I really think it's a matter of changinging the battery!!!! Reminds me of the old saying "there's an elephant in the room".
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Thu May 13, 2010 6:08 am

We shall stay tuned...
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Thu May 13, 2010 6:12 am

Those pre-amps do funny things with a fugged battery [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Thu May 13, 2010 6:12 am

Gents, it's a sum of parts! The killer basses and the dogs exist in every year, every make , every model, from the beginning. No secret that there's better consistency now with CAD programming, Plek, design improvements, etc., so the variance will be in the wood, if the strings are not dead. Try others, A/B them side to side if possible, one will sing to you, and try Gav's suggestion too. And remember, our ears are all different. I have a keeper ( to my ears) 79, and it's all the Ray I need. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

edited to add:

EBMM has the highest accolades for stringent build, fit and finish processes which equate to consistency. YMMV
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Caca de Kick » Thu May 13, 2010 10:07 am

Franklin wrote:Regardless, your experience is identical to mine-I found the pre-ernie had a bigger sound-more mids-deeper tone etc. I don't want to seem to rag on the new bass-so pls forgive-but I would have no problem with the reissue if I could get a similar tone.

If you go back and re-read, my '81 is also a preEB, and my Classic sounds and responds in everyway exactly to that bass. I also have and have had several 2band EBMM StingRays, and the preamps are all consistant in volume and performance.

But as far as my '78, I think the only difference there is the oddball early pickup with the longer poles giving the deeper tone. But I should have clarified no differnce in volume and definitely not a difference saying one bass sounds whimpy in comparison, but putting *my* favorite strings on made all the difference in my world...at least to me a stainless .105 is night and day from a nickel .100 E string. The new bass sounds great and swaps right in and plays the set the same as my others, but I'll agree with Gav, if something was so differernt to say that one was much louder than the other, then something is wrong.
Caca de Kick

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Sun May 30, 2010 12:44 am

Blacky finally arrived...killer Bass! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby aussiemark » Sun May 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Nice one Gav!
aussiemark

Postby hmagman » Mon May 31, 2010 7:36 am

That's a beauty...Congrats!
Harry
hmagman

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:48 am

It's a great Bass...thanks lads.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Chuck B » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Congratulations, Gav! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Chuck B

Postby higher1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 am

Man Gav, that is a beauty! is the headstock as flamed as the fretboard?
http://www.higher1.net
It's all in the fingers... BOOM!
higher1
Global Bouncer

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:58 pm

The neck is Birds-Eye rather than Flame. Beautiful figuring but very hard to take a pic of with the camera I have.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby higher1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm

oooof, it's as gorgeous as I imagined!! WOW! thanks for Sharing Gav...
http://www.higher1.net
It's all in the fingers... BOOM!
higher1
Global Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Wowsers!
:drool
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple