Sabre question

Sabre question

Postby Father Gino » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 am

I've got an '83 MM Sabre. It's pre EB (just barely) and has the toggle switch controls and exposed pole pieces. Is the preamp boost only? There are no center detents in either the treble or bass pots. Just curious.
Father Gino

Re: Sabre question

Postby Chuck B » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 am

boost only. the center detent came with EB afaik.
Chuck B

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Father Gino wrote:I've got an '83 MM Sabre. It's pre EB (just barely) and has the toggle switch controls and exposed pole pieces. Is the preamp boost only? There are no center detents in either the treble or bass pots. Just curious.

The common view is that it's a boost only pre-amp. However, it's my understanding that the Bass control is boost while the Treble control operates as both a cut and boost (albeit no centre detent).
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Father Gino » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 pm

Either way makes sense to me as I tend to often roll the bass pot all the way off and the treble mostly off when using both pickups which is mostly where I set it. I've always wondered if other people do the same. Maybe it's my rig, I dunno. I've been playing this Sabre at rehearsals through someone else's old Peavey single 15" combo and I almost prefer its sound to my own 1-FX / with 2 Aguilar 12s. The Peavey would not deliver the volume at a real gig but I can dial more mids into it. Maybe I need a graphic EQ stomp box? Or some new speakers?

I've got a L2K as well and I find it infinitely more versatile, but somehow I like the Sabre better. The fact that it's 1.5 lbs light helps, but it's more than that. There's a unique dryness in that Sabre which I love but sometimes I can't coax it to growl a little as well. When I can get both dry and growl together at once, it's heavenly.
Father Gino

Postby Caca de Kick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:00 am

Father Gino wrote:Either way makes sense to me as I tend to often roll the bass pot all the way off and the treble mostly off when using both pickups which is mostly where I set it. I've always wondered if other people do the same. Maybe it's my rig, I dunno.

Must be the rig. I play my Sabre with the bass knob up about 75% and the treble up about 90%, both pickups at full all the time.
Caca de Kick

Return to MUSICMAN