G-String INtonation question MMSR

G-String INtonation question MMSR

Postby Reb » Sat May 15, 2010 7:14 am

Need some suggestions on setting intonation on the G-string on a 06 MMSR. I have set the intonation with a strobe tuner on the EA and D without any issues but cannot get the G high octave to match open G. As I adjust the saddle bridge adjuster for G and then retune the open string and check the best I can get is slightly sharp. Slightly sharp is the optimum point and adjusting the saddle in either direction from there it gets sharper? The adjustment is very near the saddle bridge coming off the end of the screw, probably 1.5 full turns away.

Any suggestions on how I can get the G intonation to adjust to match? Never had this issue on other basses and was always able to adjust the saddle to get the intonation of the open and high octave string note to match with a little tweaking. I googled this problem and it does not seem to be common, so seaking some advice on what to try next.

TIA for any advice,
Reb
Reb

Re: G-String INtonation question MMSR

Postby Reb » Sat May 15, 2010 4:39 pm

Never mind, I figured it out. For those that may benifit from what I have discovered, here is what my problem was. The saddle adjustment was out near the end and when I adjusted it further away from the neck the tone became sharper? It must have been that the saddle adjust was out on the last few threads that did not allow adjustment in any direction to flatten the 12th fret high G. I figured nothing to lose so I just kept adjusting the saddle further from the neck and after about 2 full turns the 12th fret G started to flatten out again with increased adjustments away from the neck.

Bottom line: The adjustment was too close to the end of the saddle adjustment and did not respond as you would expect when you make adjustments. Once I brought the saddle a few turns away from the neck the adjustment started working fine and I was able to dial in perfect intonation on the open G and the 12th fret G using a strobe tuner.

Never had this problem on any of the many basses I have set up, so thought I would share my solution.

Reb
Reb

Return to MUSICMAN