the MusicMan off brand OLB?

the MusicMan off brand OLB?

Postby hoytbasses » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:16 pm

hey folks :

one of my students brought in a bass : OLP (official licenced brand) licensed by Ernie Ball. single music man p/u, had the oval pickguard and potentiometer plate that looks like a regular MM......(LONG GONE) .

in all honesty, for a chinese made instrument, it looks pretty solid, with an ash body and curly veneer face ; maple neck/fingerboard.

we're going to refurbish it and sell it to buy some more wood or tools for the guitar building program.

my questions are:

1. will the MM pickguard and potentiometer plates fit?
2. what did they go for new?
3. Opinions?
3. anyone have an interest in a project bass?

thanks in advance

Karl
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Re: the MusicMan off brand OLB?

Postby noahvale » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm

I think the pg will work, but I'm not sure. They had two vol's and a tone. They really need a preamp to shine. That Chinese elm is the hardest wood I've ever put a router on. The hardwood version sold for $225 or so new, the basswood version went for around $180.

Mine had a great neck and it sounded really good with the preamp I added: http://noahvale.freeshell.org/olp.htm
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby hoytbasses » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 pm

AHHHHH now i see how the pickguard works........that bass you had is the same exact bass. so does each coil have it's own volume?

it actually looks pretty good with the tort pickguard

thank for the feedback

kfh
hoytbasses

Postby jshilgebass » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 pm

noahvale wrote:I think the pg will work, but I'm not sure. They had two vol's and a tone. They really need a preamp to shine. That Chinese elm is the hardest wood I've ever put a router on. The hardwood version sold for $225 or so new, the basswood version went for around $180.

Mine had a great neck and it sounded really good with the preamp I added: http://noahvale.freeshell.org/olp.htm

...and this bass has since ended up in my possession. It's a great bass, the perfect poor man's Stingray 5, especially after the mods Butch did to it.

OLP basses make a great platform for hot-rodding into MusicMan street racers. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby noahvale » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 am

hoytbasses wrote:AHHHHH now i see how the pickguard works........that bass you had is the same exact bass. so does each coil have it's own volume?

it actually looks pretty good with the tort pickguard

thank for the feedback

kfh

The factory setup is one vol for each coil and a tone.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Postby Shakey Slim » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 am

I just converted a 4 string OLP to an 8 string. I'm surprised that the neck is able to hold the tension of the strings, but the truss rod is still adjustable and I'm able to get a good bow and low action.

Don't know about the pickups/preamp, mine came without a pup. I just got a Kent Armstrong pup for it, so we'll see how that sounds with the stock preamp setup.
Shakey Slim

Postby earlgray » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 pm

hoytbasses wrote:hey folks :

one of my students brought in a bass : OLP (official licenced brand) licensed by Ernie Ball.
my questions are:
3. Opinions?

I picked up one of these for $75 off Craigslist a few years ago. I wanted a super-beater that I could take places where I really didn't care what happened to it. It had been in this college kid's closet for a couple years, so it was really nasty -- he didn't even attempt to clean it before the sale. Looks like everything was original. I took it home, cleaned it up and it was ready to go.

A couple opinions:
Construction & feel: Looks nice with a natural body, maple board, & a tort guard -- classic SR look to me. The body is pretty heavy and seams are obvious, but its very solid and resonant. Adjusted the truss rod when I brought it home and its been stable ever since.
The neck feels pretty good; diameter & width are almost the same size as my EB StingRay but the fretboard isn't finished, so its got a cheap feel in the hands.

The sound: When I got it, there was a set of very dead strings (probably factory) and it actually sounded pretty good, but not really like a StingRay. Those strings weren't holding tune, so I put a lightly used set of D'Addario XL-170s (the ones that came on my BABP L-2000) and it then sounded like crap -- tinny and thin -- nothing like a StingRay.

I assume it sounded so much better with the dead strings because the pickups just suck. The 2 single coils are really sensitive to adjustment and are really noisy. Since the body is pretty solid, I think it would be worth putting a couple hundred dollars in electronics to improve the sound. Without the right StingRay bits, I doubt it would sound like one ever, but it still may be OK.

But, overall, its a great beater. I keep mine propped up next to the wall beside my desk at home so I can pick it up and mess around. Its been perfect for all that. I'd definitely recommend one for a kid or a beginner who doesn't need an expensive instrument.

hth.
Alex
earlgray

Postby hoytbasses » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm

thanks for the feedback!

I have to find a pickguard... hey Butch, that teardrop shaped PG... was that stock or did you make it?

we're going to spruce it up and unload it if anyone is interested ..... whatever we get for it will be spent on spiffy wood for next year's guitar building class

kfh
hoytbasses

Postby noahvale » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:57 pm

hoytbasses wrote:thanks for the feedback!

I have to find a pickguard... hey Butch, that teardrop shaped PG... was that stock or did you make it?

kfh

That was stock, that is the standard shape for 5 string Stingrays. I bought it new at GC. Now that I think about it, I paid $279 for it.

Those pickups do not suck. Being MM pickups in the MM position they really really need a preamp. Leo figured that out when he designed it and there never has been a Stingray without a preamp.

I played a Tony Levin Sig OLP 5'er at www.theperfectbass.com. They are four miles from my house. I went in on a weekday morning and spent a couple of hours playing everything in the store, which was over 100 basses. They had over 50 MM basses and the one TL OLP. Those have a three band preamp stock. On purpose I played that one last. Since I had the OLP with the pre, I knew what to expect.

That bass had a better neck than 75% of the Ernie Balls and sounded just as good as all but the really heavy 5 stringers. Really heavy 5 string Stingrays kill, but who wants to hang one around their neck for 4 hours?
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Postby hoytbasses » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 am

That was stock, that is the standard shape for 5 string Stingrays. I bought it new at GC. Now that I think about it, I paid $279 for it.

well..... you can tell it's still early and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.... I thought you meant that you paid almost 300 bucks for a replacement pickguard [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif]

school bell's ringing...........

Have a great day, all

kfh
hoytbasses

Postby BassMon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:38 pm

hoytbasses wrote:thanks for the feedback!

we're going to spruce it up and unload it if anyone is interested ..... whatever we get for it will be spent on spiffy wood for next year's guitar building class

kfh

If you wanted to sell it you wouldn't have to really put any money into it. Those OLP's are still popular in the bass community because they were discontinued years ago. All you would have to do is put it on ebay with a detailed description and pics. People buy those OLP's to replace the electronics anyway. I own an OLP MM3 and I did the same thing noahvale did except I installed an SR5 pickup and made a vintage Stingray 2 band preamp. I used wood tools to route out a bigger cavity for the preamp and batteries. I'm running it at 18 volts
BassMon

Postby hoytbasses » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:41 am

looks like we have a diamond in the rough here! hell, I may just keep it, although my main gig axe is a Hoyt with a single Bart MM in it, so I wouldn't be picking up much in the way of sonic uniqueness.

thanksfully , the 15 year old donor didn't glop it up with stickers etc.... it's still a good looking bass.

thanks for all the feedback on this!

you gotta love frankenbasses!
hoytbasses

Return to MUSICMAN