SR4 30th Anniversary Price Check

SR4 30th Anniversary Price Check

Postby Fret_Spider » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

Hello!

I purchased one of these crimson beauties 5 years ago from GC and it has largely sat under my bed. It is the fretted right-handed single-humbucker version (I guess the most common variation of this limited edition). The bass is in near-mint condition, there's only one small blemish in the lacquer, a 1/8" radius indentation on the underside ridge (where you'd rest it on your thigh if you were sitting while playing), hard to see unless you're really looking. The original plastic yet covers the pickguard and the brass latches on the case, although the edges of the plastic have began to peel back a bit over the years. It has been played fearfully and cringingly (not wanting to ding it) a handful of times in my smoke-free house, never out, and then back under the bed it went.

A friend recommended that the members of this site would know a fair market value. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mark
Fret_Spider

Re: SR4 30th Anniversary Price Check

Postby aussiemark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 pm

The 30th Anniversary ("The best Stingray we have ever made" - Sterling Ball) is a sleeper at the moment (most people don't realise the killer tonal difference that the mahogany body gives this bass over other single pickup Stingrays), which means it doesn't get a much higher price than a regular Stingray. That WILL change over time - it is destined to be a great investment, in time.

So, current market for these is maybe $100 more than a regular newish Stingray in similar condition - so ... $1100-$1300 ballpark.
aussiemark

Postby Fret_Spider » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I appreciate the reply Mark. Have a good weekend.
Fret_Spider

Postby Caca de Kick » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Yeah, the used market has been kinda flooded with these, so yeah 1100-1300 is the norm.
Caca de Kick

Postby earlgray » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm

aussiemark wrote:The 30th Anniversary ("The best Stingray we have ever made" - Sterling Ball) is a sleeper at the moment (most people don't realise the killer tonal difference that the mahogany body gives this bass over other single pickup Stingrays), which means it doesn't get a much higher price than a regular Stingray. That WILL change over time - it is destined to be a great investment, in time.

So, current market for these is maybe $100 more than a regular newish Stingray in similar condition - so ... $1100-$1300 ballpark.

I picked up one here on BABP about 3 years ago right in that price range. I bought it to be a player and 'tis my regular gig bass nowadays. I love it -- got the punch of a StingRay, but as Mark said, the heavy mahogany body really brings out the tone. Its not a lightweight though -- by the end of a long gig, I'm feeling it in the shoulder.

Don't have the extra cash I had a couple years ago, but if I did, I'd probably pick up another just for keeping.

HTH.
EG
earlgray

Return to MUSICMAN