Wanting to add a pickup to my H Sugar Roasted Stingray

Wanting to add a pickup to my H Sugar Roasted Stingray

Postby ken woodward » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Hey guys, this has probably been asked, but I can't seem to find a post on it. I'm wanting to add a Single coil MM style pickup on my 4-string Black Honey Roasted Stingray. I have a great Luthier can handle it fine without damage to the paint or finish. I just don't know where to look. I've heard that Delano might be an option, but I would prefer the stock type pickup or change out the whole works. I have a Sterling with the HS set-up that I really love. Any suggestions? Need answers ASAP. Thanks, Ken
ken woodward

Re: Wanting to add a pickup to my H Sugar Roasted Stingray

Postby Caca de Kick » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm

My suggestion would be sell that single H and just buy an HS.
http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/Bal ... veSR.shtml

You can't buy the factory electronics, EB won't sell them. So between the cost of aftermarket pieces that may not even sound the same, the cost of labor, and the depreciating value you will certainly cause modding it, I'd cut it loose and call Bass Central.
Caca de Kick

Postby ken woodward » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Duh. Hell I know you can't buy parts from EB. I've known that for over 25 years. That isn't what I was implying to try to do. I'm sure there are people out there athat have spar parts laying aroung. I have a ton, just not what I currently need. If other manufactures out there have replacements, I'd be interested in contacting them, about doing a complete change out. I just don't know of any. Ken
ken woodward

Postby aussiemark » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 pm

+1 on selling the H and buying a HS. That way, you get maximum resale value on both basses, instead of taking a big hit on a bass that's been routed and has a sub-standard pickup in the neck position. Waste of time and money as I see it.
aussiemark

Postby Golem » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 pm

`

Even if you had the PU etc already in hand, dual
PU Rays are rear loaded. The chrome banana is
just for traditional appearance. Not sure whether
this front/rear thing is just the EBMM production
designers finding a more efficient builder's trick,
or whether it may actually complicate conversion
to dual PU from single. But I spoze it's something
you might wanna check out.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd just buy a dual PU
Ray, swap that cool neck onto it and then put the
plain neck on your old 1H body to sell it that way.
Zsomething I've done more than once, mostly for
FL conversions in my case ... same principle.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ken woodward » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Well, I took all of your advice. I called Beaver Felton at Bass Central after seeing he had a HS configured 4 string Sugar Roasted Stingray(Rare). We made a deal for a trade. $450 ,and my bass, [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] pending them seeing it for inspection. The bass is like new other than I've had it for a couple of months, but not played out with. It sounded like a fair deal to me. Beavers folks were very cordial and understanding about my position and theirs in the trade. I get what I'm gassing for, and they still have a like new limited bass that they can sell easily. Thanks, again, Ken
ken woodward

Postby Caca de Kick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:50 am

Awesome! That is a really generous trade in deal. And you're only out 450 bucks.
That's why I put that link to the Roasted black sugars on there. I saw there was an HS at the bottom of the page.
Caca de Kick

Postby ken woodward » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 am

Oh, I forgot to add, Beaver gave me a $50.00 discount after telling him I was a member of the BABP.com. I thought that was way cool being as he said he usually doesn't discount on special models. Thank's to Beaver and his crew. Ken
ken woodward

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 pm

How did this turn out Ken?
Rob Francis

Postby ken woodward » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I just sent my stingray off to them. They should see it tomorrow(Tuesday the 28th of Feb). Beaver or Grasshopper will access my bass and do a 24 hour turn around and ship me out theirs. I sould see the bass around Fri-Mon. I post you all how it went. Ken
ken woodward

Return to MUSICMAN