Roscoe Century 6

Roscoe Century 6

Postby Chuck M » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

I recently traded a USA Spector bolt on 6 that I never bonded with for a Roscoe Century Signature 6 string. It has a spalted myrtle top on a Spanish cedar body and has a lined diamondwood fingerboard. What a terrific bass this is. The 35" scale B string is exceptional....very clear note definition.

Any other Roscoe fans here?

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Re: Roscoe Century 6

Postby Freddels » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm

I have a Roscoe LG3000 that I play a lot. I had an SKB3006 but I sold it b/c I needed the money. I'm in the process of getting another Roscoe 6'er (LG30006).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:57 pm

I had a LG3000 and loved it, I thought it would be great as a 6er and sold it thinking the 6er would be the end all be all and it was not. Just too big for my small hands. Selling that LG3k was one if my biggest regrets. I have tried a bunch and none were as awesome as the one I sold.

Great basses though, they seem to sit well in a mix.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby kennans » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:13 pm

What is "Diamondwood?"
kennans
Road Dog

Postby Freddels » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I asked that very question a few years ago and here's the answer that I received.

It is (usually) birch veneers, laminated together and impregnated via a vacuum process with an epoxy resin. It is VERY hard, very strong, and very stable.

Essentially it is a "poor man's graphite composite" material, with the birch in place of the graphite strands.

It works like (a very hard) wood, has a lot of the same tonal characteristics, but is stable like a composite. It makes an excellent fretless fingerboard because it is very hard, resists damage from roundwound strings, and sounds great - very aggressive and "mwah-y".
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Return to FRETLESS