Step up, fretless guys.

Postby Father Gino » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:08 pm

brunelli wrote:Better to have quality traffic over quantity traffic anyhow.

What? No lines vs. no lines banter allowed here? [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Father Gino

Postby no4mk1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Quick! Throw him in the dungeon! [smilie=action-smiley-047.gif]

[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Cheers,
Chris
---What Would Duck Dunn Do?---

no4mk1

Postby 57RIP » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:32 pm

sorry mang - I gotta have lines - otherwise my guitard can't tell me 'points off for color outside the lines'
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby kennans » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:43 am

Lines, blank plank, flashing lights, or a little paper clip that appears to tell you when you're out of key - none of it matters as long as yer SMOOOOTH baby.
kennans
Road Dog

Postby NJ fclef » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:23 pm

ooo-yeah - not always gettin' that rattly mwahh. how do you set it up? file the nut to nuthin?
FGC
url=http://www.macakin.com/bass]the stable[/url]
NJ fclef

Postby Strangeglow » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 pm

I just picked up a fretless AC-6 F-Bass. I've got a 30th SR4 fretless, a Ren 4FL, and a Zeta Stradus Crossover.

What are those shiny metal things on the necks of other basses?
Strangeglow

Postby jfh4242 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:37 am

Hi Strangeglow,

How is the F Bass? Alain sure gets some cool sounds from his.

John
jfh4242

Postby Strangeglow » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:39 am

I had been enthralled with the F-Bass since seeing Alain in Montreal back when i was living there part time. Played one briefly at the NAMM show and I was hooked.

The bass is a complete total joy to play. Everything just feels right. The controls are very well thought out and there's a huge range of sounds in it.

There are definitely no training wheels. It's one of those instruments where youc an do anything, including stupid stuff. For example, on some instruments, the output range of the piezos are limited so you never get into the "crunchy fart" range. The F-Bass will let you crank the piezos as hard as you want. I like the flexibility, but there's definitely a learning curve in finding the sweet spots.

But once you find them... wow!
Strangeglow

Postby oogie boogie » Tue May 01, 2007 9:46 am

The only bass I currently own and play is a Schack 6-string fretless. It had a fretted ebony board, but I had them removed and the lines filled with phenolic, so now it's petty much unlined, except in really bright light. The side dots are obviously still for fretted. Bit of a trip, that one, but it just forces more of the ears for intonation. I love my baby.
oogie boogie

Postby ghiadub » Tue May 01, 2007 10:40 am

NJ fclef wrote:ooo-yeah - not always gettin' that rattly mwahh. how do you set it up? file the nut to nuthin?

I have asked Mike Manring the same question. His answer was:

Low action
round wound strings
fretboard coated (epoxy or spar varnish)
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby jfh4242 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:40 am

Strangeglow,

I have been reading some reviews on the AC and it seems it does not do a great Pbass, deep bottom tone. Do you find that too?

John
jfh4242

Postby Armybass » Sun May 06, 2007 6:36 pm

My fretless has been the doghouse for the past few years but have wanted a toothless slab for some time. As of today..................... I'm back in the club.
Armybass

Postby Strangeglow » Mon May 07, 2007 1:52 am

I haven't really tried to get a Pbass tone out of the AC-6. I'll have to try and do so. The bottom does get really big and there's a great range of sounds in the controls.

I'll let you know what I come up with

jw
Strangeglow

Postby Tornadobass » Mon May 07, 2007 10:32 am

I'm still hanging onto a fretless, but don't get much use from it. Jaco with Joni Mitchell has been my favorite style for fretless and playing with acoustic guitar is fun.

After 3 different Godins, a A/E Fender and a Yamaha BBN4F (given to my daughter for high school jazz band), I'm down to...an SX Jazz...that I've reworked substantially (the headstock is my avatar). This was an axe I picked up used with problems in the electronics.

I learned how to level the fingerboard and the lucked into a Naimish bridge with stringthrough the body, right from the maker himself. Eventually, I...er...hacked...a battery cavity under the pickguard. Most recently, I installed a set of EMG JV pickups from Tom A (thanks, Tom!) that work great with the bridge full on and a bit of neck pickup for depth. No noise at all, and a really smooth sound with lots of sustain.

It's currently setup with fairly low action and roundwounds and the upper range really sings. Double stops (when in tune [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif] ) sound great with the D and G strings together, too. Here's a pic of the body with all the goodies.
Last edited by Tornadobass on Tue May 15, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tornadobass

about time I fronted up

Postby froover » Tue May 15, 2007 3:37 pm

hi folks

thought i should join in

better late than never, eh

cheers
Lucy
However, at the end of the six months they decided to keep Judy on, so Sharon got pushed down a flight of stairs and Judy was given a pacemaker
froover

PreviousNext

Return to FRETLESS