Step up, fretless guys.

Postby Armybass » Tue May 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Welcome Lucy, nice to see you here!
Armybass

Re: Step up, fretless guys.

Postby beadgc23 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 pm

beadgc23 (totally inappropriate now I no longer own a 6) getting here very very late after a self imposed break from bass. Currently loving a Ren 5 fretless through EA CXL-112's, wishing for an iAmp 500 to complete the picture. Why is my bass so quiet?
beadgc23

Postby ghiadub » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:15 pm

beadgc23 wrote: Why is my bass so quiet?

I had so much trouble hearing my ren in the mix that I got rid of it. I loved that bass for it's sound by itself, but as things got louder and adding other musicians, it would just get buried. Even when it was amplified to the gills, it was just mush in the mix.

I loved that bass like few others though.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby beadgc23 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:20 am

Here's two weird things...with the Ren, I don't worry about pitch anymore - it's just so _easy_ to play in tune. Yes, it has fretlines but I ain't looking.

The other is that I mailed Rick Turner at 11.00pm last night and got a short series of pleasant, helpful responses over the following 30 minutes. I've read some discussion about his support but this has been my experience every time I've contacted the man, +1 for Rick.

I record myself, and I imagine I'm going to be treating the Ren more like an electric cello than a bass. The mids are subtle & complex, I imagine that guitars could compete heavily. There's a Youtube clip of some American Idle (intentional) bimbo backed by two guitars and a fretless Ren, which works beautifully and has excellent growl.
beadgc23

Postby Golem » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:03 am

ghiadub wrote:

I had so much trouble hearing my ren in the mix that I got rid of it. I loved that bass for it's sound by itself, but as things got louder and adding other musicians, it would just get buried. Even when it was amplified to the gills, it was just mush in the mix.

The preferred approach is not to get rid of the Ren, but to get rid of the offending "musicians" :-/

I have loved my Ren since the day I heard its A-string low C note lock in [no beating] with the piano's C-chord to sustain the final note of some hymn or other in a huge modern church, where the cieling isn't peaked, but slopes away from us like a theatre. It was truly a magic moment in my musical growth. It was my first "Ooohh ..... so *this* is what it's all about!! "

Fretless content: I remember that what was soooo cool about this was that I had hit that 'C' close enuf but not truly dead matched, then with just a teenzie weenie rocking of my fingertip it was like the universe unfolded. BTW, I was not there to worship, or to seek nirvanah. I was just a gigging Jew in a Roman church playing bass for Xmas Eve mass.

I'm sure another bass could do something similar, but only a Ren, Rob Allen, Godin A, etc, wearing TI Acousticores, could do it the way I heard that note-plus-chord coming back to me off the cieling. In my case, it was my Ren, and so I'm hooked. True, there were no drums. But there was trumpet, guitar, and flute along with the piano and bass, and the bass+piano voice just broke away from the others and really *owned* the sonic realm in that moment.
Last edited by Golem on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby KPJ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:32 am

My sig says it all!

My fretless Spector is like an extension of my body!
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Links: Fender Blacktop Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz Fretless
ADA MB-1 Peavey IPR-1600 Ashdown Little Bastard 30 Peavey 410TVX Acoustic B15
www.revebnation.com/uncleruth

Postby ghiadub » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Golem wrote:
ghiadub wrote:

The preferred approach is not to get rid of the Ren, but to get rid of the offending "musicians" :-/

I have loved my Ren since the day I heard its A-string low C note lock in [no beating] with the piano's C-chord to sustain the final note of some hymn or other in a huge modern church, where the cieling isn't peaked, but slopes away from us like a theatre. It was truly a magic moment in my musical growth. It was my first "Ooohh ..... so *this* is what it's all about!! "

Fretless content: I remember that what was soooo cool about this was that I had hit that 'C' close enuf but not truly dead matched, then with just a teenzie weenie rocking of my fingertip it was like the universe unfolded. BTW, I was not there to worship, or to seek nirvanah. I was just a gigging Jew in a Roman church playing bass for Xmas Eve mass.

I'm sure another bass could do something similar, but only a Ren, Rob Allen, Godin A, etc, wearing TI Acousticores, could do it the way I heard that note-plus-chord coming back to me off the cieling. In my case, it was my Ren, and so I'm hooked. True, there were no drums. But there was trumpet, guitar, and flute along with the piano and bass, and the bass+piano voice just broke away from the others and really *owned* the sonic realm in that moment.

G-Dawg,
This is what I had imagined my ren to sound like in the mix. Problem is I just do not have a situation that fits the ren. It seemed a little weird to seek out a gig just to play the ren in the proper context.

I have to admit, I am jealous that you did have that moment. They do sing with a beautiful voice.

Side note, I started my ren journey with a church gig. Classical guitarist was playing one thru a polytone and it's tone was quite mesmerizing.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby GLJeff » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 pm

I really like mine, even though I only use it for one song. For The Love Of God by Steve Vai, it sounds sweet! 6 strings, no lines.
GLJeff

Postby spade2you » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:44 am

Roger that. Stepping up and stepping out!

spade2you

Postby Laredo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:59 pm

I finally have one to "Step Up" with! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] New Fretless G&L SB-2............Not that common, but a whole lot of fun! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

FL SB2 II-I.jpg

FL SB2 II-II.jpg

FL SB2 II-III.jpg

FL SB2 II-IV.jpg
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
Laredo

Postby bluesky » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:42 pm

I'll just include myself as a "fretless dabbler" for now. It sure is fun though!!!
bluesky

Previous

Return to FRETLESS