Favorite fretless players?

Favorite fretless players?

Postby no4mk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:17 pm

Well since Kennens asked to step it up, I thought I'd kick off a discussion about our favorite fretless players.

I got into fretless from a bit of a different angle than most. The music I play is directed toward the country rock (Americana) arena.

A friend of mine had a band in Seattle called Kitchen Radio and he played a fretless. It was the first time I'd seen a fretless in a non-jazz context and I was blown away by the possibilities. Since then I've become a huge fan of the Band and by extension Rick Danko.

I've never really listened to Jaco much since I'm not a bigg jazz head, so I wouldn't know a Jacoism if it slapped me upside the head. [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Let's hear your favorites!

Cheers,
Chris

Here he is with the scroll bass... Oh BTW... Levon Helm is the coolest drummer on earth. Period.

Here's Rick doing "it Makes no Difference". He's using his Grabber on this one, but it's one of my favorites so...

---What Would Duck Dunn Do?---

no4mk1

Postby Trane Francks » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:03 am

I do loves me some Jaco. Percy Jones (Brand X) is also a verrrrrrrry interesting player. Tony Franklin is another one.

Trane Francks (Life After Failing) was rumoured to have recorded Small Light entirely on a CIJ fretless Jazz Bass. ;)
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Postby no4mk1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am

Man... That Trane Francks kicks ASSSSS!!! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Cheers,
Chris
---What Would Duck Dunn Do?---

no4mk1

Postby kennans » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:46 am

Trane Franks kicks ass on multiple continents!

I love Danko's rootsy approach. "Makes No Difference" is a great song.

Jaco on Heijera screws me up royal about once a year. The first time I heard him on Ian Hunter's "All American Alien Boy" I knew the bar had been raised. Maybe too high.

My first fretless memories are Klaus Voorman on some crazy Harry Neilson records. "Jump Into the Fire", indeed.

Boz Burrell, inside cover of the music book for the first Bad Company record, Ampeg fretless and a cigarette hanging from his lip. Too cool looking for an impressionable teen!
kennans
Road Dog

Postby noahvale » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:38 am

Pino when he was doing fretless work was awesome.
I wore out Heijera on vinyl, got it on CD, lost it, got it again..
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby kennans » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:02 am

"Every Time You Go Away" by Paul Young is some beautiful Pino work.
kennans
Road Dog

Postby ghiadub » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38 am

Jaco totally kicks ass, on Hejira, I cannot ever hear enough "refuge of the road", I can just listen to that song over and over. I still have my original (worn out) copy of Jaco's self titled debut. Jaco's musicianship is pretty much unsurpassed IMO.

for Rock stuff, Jeff from Pearl Jam does a great job.

But my fave is definitely Michael Manring. I first heard him on Michael Hedges first album and it just killed me. He has definitely changed a lot since then and developed his own style a lot more.
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby jfh4242 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:26 am

I have to say that I am in a total and complete "Jaco phase". I guess I will outgrow it at some point. But right now, when I am listening to fretless, I am listening to him. It is not so much his solos, it is his grooves, his feel.

I even bought a fretless CIJ jazz bass and had the neck epoxied like him to get close to the sound.

I guess a lot of players go through this.

John
jfh4242

Postby Chucko » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:57 am

Jaco, Manthing, Percy Jones, and oh yeah Steve Lawson and Trip Wamsley rock my world!
Chucko

Postby ~lightwaveryder~ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 am

i heard a bit of chromatic fantasy by jaco, and i have a video file of one of his lessons if anyone wants it.
pm me.

chromatic fantasy left me speechless.

~lwr~
~lightwaveryder~

Postby jfh4242 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:45 pm

~lightwaveryder~ wrote:i heard a bit of chromatic fantasy by jaco, and i have a video file of one of his lessons if anyone wants it.
pm me.

chromatic fantasy left me speechless.

~lwr~

I am really interested, please let me know!

John
jfh4242

Re: Favorite fretless players?

Postby jfh4242 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:54 pm

no4mk1 wrote:Well since Kennens asked to step it up, I thought I'd kick off a discussion about our favorite fretless players.

I got into fretless from a bit of a different angle than most. The music I play is directed toward the country rock (Americana) arena.

A friend of mine had a band in Seattle called Kitchen Radio and he played a fretless. It was the first time I'd seen a fretless in a non-jazz context and I was blown away by the possibilities. Since then I've become a huge fan of the Band and by extension Rick Danko.

I've never really listened to Jaco much since I'm not a bigg jazz head, so I wouldn't know a Jacoism if it slapped me upside the head. [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Let's hear your favorites!

Cheers,
Chris

Here's Rick doing "it Makes no Difference". He's using his Grabber on this one, but it's one of my favorites so...

Hi Chris,

Yeah just love that song. They had one helluva sound together. They floor me every time. It just sounds like they feel what they play so much. Danko is really, really great. Super functional and supportive while improvising almost all the time, as far as I can tell.

Unfortunatly, if you watch the whole concert film, you definatly see places where the bass sounds do not work with what you see his hands doing. I am sure that some of those tracks (or all of them) were doctored.

Great, great band and bassist, regardless.

John
Last edited by jfh4242 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfh4242

Postby nig » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:47 am

For me Percy Jones, John Giblin ( hear him on family snap shot by gabriel and breathing by kate bush ) and mick karn from japan, who is still very 'up there' with his current solo work, obviously jaco, especially on weather reports heavy weather and with joni.
'Using yesterdays technology to create tommorrows problems today'

nig

Postby onamission » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Kai Eckhardt, Tony Levin are a couple others that I really like also.
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby onamission » Tue May 01, 2007 2:51 pm

And how about Boz Burrell?!?!? I hate it when I forget about him. He was doin Fretless when I didn't know what Fretless was................
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Next

Return to FRETLESS