Favorite fretless players?

Postby Strangeglow » Tue May 01, 2007 6:29 pm

I've been on a big Alain Caron kick lately...

Strangeglow

Postby jfh4242 » Tue May 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks for the F Bass review, Strangeglow. I would love to get my mitts on one of those. They are so damn expensive, though. They come in 5 or 6 string version but no 4 string, unfortunately.

Alain is really great. I just got a DVD of UZEB's farewell show at the Montreal Jazz Festival. Really cool stuff. Not all flashy stuff either. UZEB could be really flashy sometimes without as much substance, sort of technique for technique's sake. This show is really good.

Thanks for the vid!

John
jfh4242

Postby Strangeglow » Wed May 02, 2007 7:56 am

The AC-6 was expensive, although I got a great deal on it. I had some other basses that were just sitting around in cases. So I consolidated a bunch.
Strangeglow

Postby oogie boogie » Wed May 02, 2007 5:04 pm

nice video clip of AC. He's pretty bad ass. Others would be of course Manthing, Dann Glenn when he was playing bass, Kai to be sure, Norwood Fisher, Alphonso, Livingston Brown, Master Pastorius without question, the list goes on....
oogie boogie

Postby Jblake » Wed May 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Tony Levin is the man. I also really like Eric Sanko's fretless playing with the Lounge Lizards. Trevor Dunn played some scary stuff with Mr. Bungle. Check out the groove on Dead Goon.
Jblake

Postby oogie boogie » Thu May 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Jblake wrote:Tony Levin is the man. I also really like Eric Sanko's fretless playing with the Lounge Lizards. Trevor Dunn played some scary stuff with Mr. Bungle. Check out the groove on Dead Goon.

Pull my finger!
oogie boogie

Postby Smakbass » Tue May 08, 2007 9:13 pm

I played Chromatic Fantasy for a recital in college that thing kicked my ass man took me 6 months to get down....

How about Gary Willis I really dig his stuff.....

Im getting back in the fretless fold in about a week.
Smakbass

Postby bigfatbass » Wed May 09, 2007 8:59 am

Pino Palladino knocked me on my ARSE the first time I heard him on Paul Young's version of "Every Time You Go Away". The way he traded lines with the gorgeous sitar/guitar parts (sitard?) just plain got my juice going as a beginning player. Just pulled it up on my iTunes.

Man, those fills still give me the chills, yo!

"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby kennans » Wed May 09, 2007 9:52 am

Yeah, the Pino thing.

I'm still a sucker for the mix of fretless bass with nylon string guitar.
kennans
Road Dog

Re: Favorite fretless players?

Postby thor » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:10 am

Steve DiGorgio and Tony Levin.
thor

Links: Vintage BC Rich Basses
Ampeg SVT2Pro
Ampeg 1x15"
Ampeg 1x18"
Ampeg 4x10"
ART Nightbass SE

Postby Chuck M » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:17 am

I always go back to Jaco on Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life and Jaco on the obscure Brian Melvin's Standards Zone.

Yes I love Percy Jones. Gee, Marcus Miller plays fine fretless as does Jimmie Johnson, however, Jaco was the man for me. The expressiveness that he had was so much deeper than what i hear from other players.

I work with a piano player who met Jaco. He says he was a conceited ass. I guess he probably was. I really miss him.

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby Trane Francks » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:18 pm

I saw Jaco at Convocation Hall in Toronto in the '80s during the Word of Mouth tour. Wow. That redefined what I thought bass was all about.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Re:

Postby Golem » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:30 am

kennans wrote:Yeah, the Pino thing.

I'm still a sucker for the mix of fretless bass with nylon string guitar.
`

Then you ain't lived til you play Acouticores on a piezo FL bass. I get high just telling you that :-)

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby godofthunder » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:04 pm

To Chris who started this thread. Noticed your post in the fretless forum and thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. I'm no jazz head but The first time I ever heard Jaco's playing was on Ian Hunters "All American Alien Boy "disc that came out in '76. Beautiful fluid lines inside a song, ("You Nearly id Me In" is a perfect example) thats how I like to hear bass and thats what you get on that disc. Highly reccomended listening if jazz ain't your thing. Back in the day I didn't think much of Boz Burell. Just recentley the band picked up some Bad Co. and by chance I bought a fretless P around the same time. I am humbled but having a great time learning his licks and economy !
godofthunder

Postby kennans » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 pm

I had Acousticores on the Renn, but took them off so I could use an EBow.

And, another word for "All American Alien Boy"; the title song features a bass solo, and "You Nearly Did Me In" is not only a great Jaco track, but the background vocals by Queen are gorgeous.
kennans
Road Dog

PreviousNext

Return to FRETLESS