Favorite fretless players?

Re: Favorite fretless players?

Postby Chuck M » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:17 am

I always go back to Jaco on Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life and Jaco on the obscure Brian Melvin's Standards Zone.

Yes I love Percy Jones. Gee, Marcus Miller plays fine fretless as does Jimmie Johnson, however, Jaco was the man for me. The expressiveness that he had was so much deeper than what i hear from other players.

I work with a piano player who met Jaco. He says he was a conceited ass. I guess he probably was. I really miss him.

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby Trane Francks » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:18 pm

I saw Jaco at Convocation Hall in Toronto in the '80s during the Word of Mouth tour. Wow. That redefined what I thought bass was all about.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Re:

Postby Golem » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:30 am

kennans wrote:Yeah, the Pino thing.

I'm still a sucker for the mix of fretless bass with nylon string guitar.
`

Then you ain't lived til you play Acouticores on a piezo FL bass. I get high just telling you that :-)

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby godofthunder » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:04 pm

To Chris who started this thread. Noticed your post in the fretless forum and thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. I'm no jazz head but The first time I ever heard Jaco's playing was on Ian Hunters "All American Alien Boy "disc that came out in '76. Beautiful fluid lines inside a song, ("You Nearly id Me In" is a perfect example) thats how I like to hear bass and thats what you get on that disc. Highly reccomended listening if jazz ain't your thing. Back in the day I didn't think much of Boz Burell. Just recentley the band picked up some Bad Co. and by chance I bought a fretless P around the same time. I am humbled but having a great time learning his licks and economy !
godofthunder

Postby kennans » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 pm

I had Acousticores on the Renn, but took them off so I could use an EBow.

And, another word for "All American Alien Boy"; the title song features a bass solo, and "You Nearly Did Me In" is not only a great Jaco track, but the background vocals by Queen are gorgeous.
kennans
Road Dog

Steve Bailey????

Postby Tucson Bass Player » Sat May 03, 2008 5:30 pm

I am surprised that I got to page 3 [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] and didn't find Steve Bailey [the short bass player guy] mentioned. Amazing player with a really unique style. Check out the video I posted on my website.
Tucson Bass Player

Links: www.tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com

Postby throckmorten » Mon May 05, 2008 6:02 am

Baba Elefante is worthy of some attention
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =287978016

Plays a F Bass 5er.

I've been diggin his straight-ahead jazz stuff with a guitar man named Joe Jewell, but he works with a couple groups and does a lot of free lance and there are some good tunes to download on his site.
Last edited by throckmorten on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
EGAD!
throckmorten

Postby yendor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Already mentioned below, but I'll second the votes for Mick Karn and Pino Palladino.
yendor

Re:

Postby Rob Francis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:52 pm

bigfatbass wrote:Pino Palladino knocked me on my ARSE the first time I heard him on Paul Young's version of "Every Time You Go Away". The way he traded lines with the gorgeous sitar/guitar parts (sitard?) just plain got my juice going as a beginning player. Just pulled it up on my iTunes.

Man, those fills still give me the chills, yo!

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Agree
Interesting that young was originally a bass player [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Rob Francis

Postby brunelli » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Instead of saying some obvious (and no less accurate) choices like Jaco or Manthing:

Tom Fowler: played a LOAD of fretless with Zappa, including the bulk of the Bongo Fury tour. When not playing a fretless he was still a mega badass.

Fernando Saunders: w/ Lou Reed (Live in Italy), sick fretless in a really solid rock band

(if you haven't seen Manring live, find a way to do it. DOHHHHHHH!!!!!)
"All I really want to do is play the blues in F" - Jaco
brunelli

Postby kennans » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 am

brunelli wrote:(if you haven't seen Manring live, find a way to do it. DOHHHHHHH!!!!!)

Yeah, but he's an alien. What he does just barely can be called "Bass Playing" at this point!

Hey Pete! Where the hell you been?
kennans
Road Dog

Postby hoytbasses » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Then you ain't lived til you play Acouticores on a piezo FL bass. I get high just telling you that :-)

amen to that......

what about stanley clarke, didn't he do some stuff fretless?

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby froover » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:27 am

the kinds of music i mostly like and play just doenst have fretless in it, doesnt stop me tho

having said that the guys i like are Tony Levin and Pino - i absorbed them from the radio growing up in the 80's

cheers
Lucy
However, at the end of the six months they decided to keep Judy on, so Sharon got pushed down a flight of stairs and Judy was given a pacemaker
froover

Postby mtb777 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:41 am

Jaco is the King and obvious choice, but there are so many others that are great. Jaco just DID it in yer face. I FIRST SAW JACO LOCALLY AT A lOCAL sURF cLUB KEGGER PARTY AFTER MY BASS TEACHER TOLD ME TO CHECK HIM OUT...THAT WAS IN 70 OR 71. SEEN HIM MANY MANY TIMES. My favorite of his stuff was the Metheny and Weather Report and Solo stuff but I was more moved by his Joni Mitchell stuff than any other thing he did.
mtb777

Links: CIRCLE OF fAITH
Circle of Faith is my band and I love all things fretless!

Postby Trane Francks » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 pm

It's funny to me that my two favourite fretless players (Jaco and Percy) don't sound even remotely like each other, and I don't sound remotely like either of 'em. :) I also find it interesting that I don't always like Percy's intonation, but he ALWAYS makes me pay attention to what he's playing.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FRETLESS