J or P?

J or P?

Postby thesandman » Sun May 13, 2007 5:51 am

I'm wanting to get a fretless, but don't want to pay the big bucks for one yet. So, I'm going to troll through the pawn shops and find a cheap MIM Fender. There's a luthier in town thats fantastic, and can defret it for me. I have both a 62 RI J and P. The P gets the most time of the two. It seems like I see a lot more fretless J's than P's. Is this a Jaco thing, or is there another advantage?

I know it all comes down to personal preference, I'm leaning towards the P for the neck. But I wanted to hear your thoughts. Yes, you, over there. Yeah, you. What do you think?
thesandman

Postby GonzoBass » Sun May 13, 2007 11:12 am

Me?
Over here?

Given the choice I'd go with a J, myself.

Reasons being:
That offset body shape
and the closer strings near the nut.

Just a personal preference though...
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Trane Francks » Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 pm

There is only one correct answer to the P/J question: BOTH.

I'm sorta kidding, but I'm sorta not. I own one of each and love them both for what they do. Do they sound alike? Nope. Do they play alike? Nope. I wouldn't want to have to decide which one to sell if I really needed to do so.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Postby jfh4242 » Mon May 14, 2007 3:50 am

The answer is: What do you want to do with it?

Classic jazz stuff (standards, etc) are best handled by a P, in my opinion. You know, meat and potatos fretless stuff. More modern stuff where the bass is cutting through and you want to have a real musical personality through your tone and note choices are best handled by a J.

Get an L2000 and you can aproximate both and save some money!

John
jfh4242

Postby thesandman » Mon May 14, 2007 4:06 am

Thanks! It is going to be for jazz standards, and the dinner set in a band that does weddings. I'm really digging my P right now. The L 2000 isn't a bad idea, but I'm going for a pawn shop special with this first fretless.
thesandman

Re: J or P?

Postby Mojo Man » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:00 pm

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Hi,
New to forum.
My first post.

I've owned and played both.
The Jazz is very popular now. ( has been for sometime Thanks Jaco)

I just dig the tone and fatness of the fretless P-bass.
I have a fretless 1970 rosewood fingerboard, and a fretless 1977 maple fingerboard.
I play the 1977 live .
Mojo Man

Postby Golem » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 am

Mojo Man wrote:[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Hi,
New to forum.
My first post.

I've owned and played both.
The Jazz is very popular now. ( has been for sometime Thanks Jaco)

I just dig the tone and fatness of the fretless P-bass.
I have a fretless 1970 rosewood fingerboard, and a fretless 1977 maple fingerboard.
I play the 1977 live .
`

You play the 77 live, and the 70 ... uhh ... OK I won't go there :-O

Anywayz, welcome to BABP.

As you know from the FAQ, all new members are required to order a BABE LE.
This year's BABE LE is an historically approximated GnL L1000. Enjoy :-)

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby GLJeff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:07 pm

kennans wrote:
ghiadub wrote:If I played the fretless all the time on every song, it would no problem, but changing basses sends me back to the amp and that just takes too long to deal with.

This kind of laziness is the exact reason I dropped fretted bass for fretless. Oh sure, I tell people that I like being able to get so much feeling out of single notes, and the expressiveness that goes with it, blah blah blah...really, at the end of the day, it's just sloth. [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

I change between three basses regularly. They're all plugged in all the time so it's just a matter of putting one down and picking another up. I can't do all our material on one bass so having three is a must. The 4 for high speed metal, the 5 for songs we wrote that requires notes lower than E, and the 6 fretless for songs that require that sound. I'm not a huge fan of bridge pickups so I'd go with a P if given one choice. My fretless has two soapbars and I always have more fretboard pickup in the mix.
GLJeff

Postby Golem » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm

GLJeff wrote:I change between three basses regularly. They're all plugged in all the time so it's just a matter of putting one down and picking another up. I can't do all our material on one bass so having three is a must. The 4 for high speed metal, the 5 for songs we wrote that requires notes lower than E, and the 6 fretless for songs that require that sound. .....
`

Yowza. You tote a heap of axen. Could save your selves some trouble by just not writing songs requiring notes lower than 'E'.

Atchewlee, there are no songs written anywhere by anyone that require notes *below* other notes. See-charp is C# and it's not unique to your 5-string since it's also on your foe banger. So ... we're not talking about choice of notes, but choice of octaves, which for a BA is more of a performance choice than a compositional demand. But hey, if you dig toting 3 axen, mopar 2ya.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby GLJeff » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Golem wrote:
GLJeff wrote:I change between three basses regularly. They're all plugged in all the time so it's just a matter of putting one down and picking another up. I can't do all our material on one bass so having three is a must. The 4 for high speed metal, the 5 for songs we wrote that requires notes lower than E, and the 6 fretless for songs that require that sound. .....
`

Yowza. You tote a heap of axen. Could save your selves some trouble by just not writing songs requiring notes lower than 'E'.

Atchewlee, there are no songs written anywhere by anyone that require notes *below* other notes. See-charp is C# and it's not unique to your 5-string since it's also on your foe banger. So ... we're not talking about choice of notes, but choice of octaves, which for a BA is more of a performance choice than a compositional demand. But hey, if you dig toting 3 axen, mopar 2ya.

`

I already have the basses so it's no big deal to me [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] There are some bands where the bassist records songs using lower octaves, if you want to duplicate it exactly a 5er is required. One of our originals is based in low B, it was recorded with a 5 string bass and a 7 string guitar. To me and I'm sure others, the low C,D, D flat, B etc have very appealing sounds for writing metal tunes. It's a downright nasty sound [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
GLJeff

Next

Return to FRETLESS