What strings do you put on your fretless.

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 am

TI Jazz Flats on one and D'Addario Chromes on the other. :)
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Re: What strings do you put on your fretless.

Postby Nighttrain » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 pm

I use GHS Pressure wounds on My fretless nice brite sound without the wear of actual rounds.
You can never have too much gear. There is always something you need and don't have. isn't GAS great?
Nighttrain

Postby bigdaddyb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Elixer

On fretless they last FOREVER!
bigdaddyb

Postby Gohloum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:41 pm

For flatwounds, I tried the D'Addarios, but they just didn't speak the right frequencies. I then tried DR flat wounds and really like them. They remind me of some of the nicer upright strings. They have been ground and polished so you don't see the seam between the wrappings, makes the string look like one solid piece of metal.

Originally this bass had Dean Markley SR 2000 with exposed core. I never could get the bass to sound right. It's actually a Tobias Classic 5 that I had the frets removed and filled with ebony strips. I recently tried the NEON series DR and something about that coating and the wood fretboard just seem to work well. It actually woke the bass up enough that I have used it on a few rock gigs, but still supple enough that it's been a pleasure on my mellow jam gigs... Just a little adjustment from the on board EQ allows such versatility.

... But I still have the DR flats. I just change strings if I know I am going to need them ahead of time. :-)
Gohloum

Postby onamission » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:46 am

Ernie Ball Slinky 100s. enough low tension to get a proper mwah.
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Previous

Return to FRETLESS