What strings do you put on your fretless.

What strings do you put on your fretless.

Postby Armybass » Sun May 13, 2007 1:25 pm

when it comes to flats I like TI's on a fretless for sure but so far with rounds I have really dug DR Sunbeams. Anyone else have any particular string preferences for your fretless basses?
Armybass

Postby aussiemark » Sun May 13, 2007 3:20 pm

Can't really help you Scott, since I'm 100% TI flats on fretless. Even my 39" scale monster fretless wears custom made TI flats.
aussiemark

Postby Strangeglow » Sun May 13, 2007 5:50 pm

I've still got slinkys on the 30th SR. Acousticore on the Ren. The AC-6 has LaBella Super Steps on it. I forget what's on the Zeta, but it hardly matters since it's likely going away.

jw
Strangeglow

Postby D47 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:09 pm

Nice timely topic, Scott. [smilie=cool-smiley-030.gif]

I recently picked up a used Tony Franklin. It's currently strung with tapewounds, but I have no idea what brand or model. The TF originally comes with rounds (NPS, iirc).

Can I kinda hijack this thread and ask about what I could expect between tapewounds, flats, and NPS rounds on this particular type (alder body, bolt-on w/ ebony board, passive elec's.) of bass?

TIA! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
``I just kept it wide-open thinking it would correct itself. Then I ran out of talent.'' -- C.F.
D47

Postby onamission » Sun May 13, 2007 7:44 pm

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago and when it got down to it I put on what I had which was a set of D'Addario Slow wounds (which are today XL170's) and I'm happy with them. Good tone, excellent M-Wah and I like the tension. All good for me cause that's what I run on my other basses.
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby Trane Francks » Sun May 13, 2007 8:57 pm

You probably already know this, Scott, but I use TI Jazz Rounds on my fretless basses. If you wouldn't mind a slightly lighter touch than your JFs, try the JRs on your Sterling and see what you think. I bet they'd sound wonderful.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Postby Chucko » Sun May 13, 2007 11:02 pm

I've got TI Jazz Rounds on my fretless at present but I'm thinking of switching to something a bit heavier. Maybe D'Addario Chromes? I've tried Half Rounds before on a previous f'less and really liked the tone.
Chucko

Postby kennans » Sun May 13, 2007 11:24 pm

I've been using Markley Fretmasters on my RB IV fretless. They're round wounds, but compression wound over the fretboard.

Plus, I get'em free.
kennans
Road Dog

Postby Trane Francks » Sun May 13, 2007 11:34 pm

Free's good.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Postby ghiadub » Mon May 14, 2007 9:01 am

I am using the TI superalloys on my jazz and smith groundwound (ground flats) on my p bass.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Road King » Mon May 14, 2007 12:54 pm

I use Lakland Osborn flats. I've tried others, and keep on comin' back.
Road King

Postby Fretless Bill » Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 pm

I've got a variety of strings on mine, most are strung with rounds. here's a list-- Roto Steve Harris on Godin acoustibass, LaBella tape wound flats on Fender Precision A/E and Carvin LB75F, D'Adderio XL's on my Minnieweather custom 5 and 4, GHS boomer high C's on my SR5, TI flats on the MIA Fender P, Fender rounds ( what came on it from factory) US Jaco and Smith rounds on my Fender Foto flame Jazz. I had TI flats on the SR5 for a couple years but got a bug to string it high C and pulled them off only for that reason.
Fretless Bill

Postby oogie boogie » Tue May 15, 2007 3:23 pm

GHS Boomers, always.
oogie boogie

Postby froover » Fri May 18, 2007 10:28 am

TI jazz flats all the way here

did have a funny head day a few years ago and put roto 66s on one bass

then i realised why i didnt want my basses to go ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRG

on my Ashbories ive settled on a red oxide solid silicone cord from a UK company called Polymax

cheers
Lucy
However, at the end of the six months they decided to keep Judy on, so Sharon got pushed down a flight of stairs and Judy was given a pacemaker
froover

Postby rickr » Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 am

Just picked up a pentabuzz and went to get new strings (daddario) I went to put them on and found that this bass has rollers on the bridge that the strings sit in. It seems only taper wound strings will fit this bass.
Anyone have any suggestions for this type of string? prefer roundwound for sure.
rickr

Next

Return to FRETLESS