New here and new fretless player

New here and new fretless player

Postby rickr » Fri May 18, 2007 5:49 am

Hello All.
I have been lurking around here for the past couple of weeks. Great site! I am pretty excited about all of the truly useful information that gets posted here.
Been playin electric bass for many years in various bands etc....
I am now at point in my life where less giging and more musical studying sounds quite appealing to me. I have always wanted to learn to play fretless but have never really had the time or patience that is deserves. Well.............. I have a pedulla pentabuzz coming today on the big brown truck and I am ready to start the learning process.
Any tips and encouragement would be great appreciated!

Thanks guys

Ricky
rickr

Postby harleyyy » Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 am

Ricky, welcome. You'll definately get from this forum, what you appreciate. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby nig » Fri May 18, 2007 6:51 am

welcome, there are more than a few toothless bassists here to chew the fat with. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
'Using yesterdays technology to create tommorrows problems today'

nig

Postby Road King » Fri May 18, 2007 7:03 am

Careful, it's addicting. I'm now at 6 fretless basses and zero fretted.
Road King

Postby Chuck M » Fri May 18, 2007 7:57 am

Welcome, Ricky!

Tell me about the Buzz bass you are getting.

I have had at least one Buzz bass in my possession since 1981 when I rescued my first one from a pawn shop for $300. Hah. Got the Pedulla and a lawsuit headstock G&L L 1000 for $400 that day!

I have owned that 4 string buzz, a Hexabuzz with soapbar PU's, a Pentabuzz with J/J PU's and presently own a Pentabuzz with P/J PU's and 19 MM string spacing. This one is my favorite of the bunch although the Hexabuzz was a killer bass-I just stopped playing 6 string basses.

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Fri May 18, 2007 9:21 am

Welcome Ricky.

I love the sound of Pedullas. I am sure it will help motivation to have such a great bass.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby froover » Fri May 18, 2007 10:20 am

welcome to the dark side!

definitely a monster of a bass to help motivate you

cheers
Lucy
However, at the end of the six months they decided to keep Judy on, so Sharon got pushed down a flight of stairs and Judy was given a pacemaker
froover

Postby onamission » Fri May 18, 2007 10:42 am

Wow Rick, You went right for the throat ordering that Pedulla, sweet. Seriously, once you pick it up and hear that sweet fretless tone you'll have a tough time putting it down. The folks here are the best. Ask questions, voice your opinion and enjoy yourself. Welcome!

Tip 1: Setup. Too high = no m-wah too low = muffled notes
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby rickr » Fri May 18, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks a bunch guys!

Man, the Pedulla just showed up. I have had many highend fretted basses in the past but never a Pedulla.
This thing is beautiful! Has Bart P/J pups and a flamed cherry top and back. I picked it up used but it does not appear to have a scratch.

I definitely look forward to "bending your ears!"

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Ricky
rickr

Postby onamission » Fri May 18, 2007 11:08 am

Sounds nice, Maybe some pics???
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby rickr » Sat May 19, 2007 2:25 pm

I bought new strings yesterday (daddario) and when I went to put them on I found that this bass has rollers on the bridge that the strings sit in. It seems only taper wound strings will fit this bass.
Anyone have any suggestions for this type of string? prefer roundwound for sure.

Man, this bass growls like a pitpull! Can't put it down.........may have to sell my hollowbody Benavente.
rickr

Postby Chuck M » Mon May 21, 2007 3:20 pm

Pedulla has never used a bridge that requires the use of taperwound strings. Regular wound strings will just sit in the roller.

Sounds like you may have one of the older basses with a Schaller bridge.

I have tried a lot of strings on my buzz basses and always go back to GHS Boomers. That is what Michael used to put on the basses before he started selling strings with his label on them.

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby Armybass » Tue May 22, 2007 5:04 am

Ricky! All my VA peeps are popping up. Hey guess what folks....I have traded basses a time or two with Ricky. Shocker I know. He is a hell of a player too. Great to have you here Ricky.
Armybass

Return to FRETLESS