Does Fretless help you develop "Hand Tone"?

Does Fretless help you develop "Hand Tone"?

Postby kennans » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:50 am

Last night, I was having a discussion about tone being in your hands, and it got me thinking about whether or not playing fretless helps you develop your tone in your hands. Opinions?

I think it would help in that your left hand plays a bigger role on fretless, so you'd develop a sensativity that much faster in your never-ending maturity as a player.

Discuss.
kennans
Road Dog

Re: Does Fretless help you develop "Hand Tone"?

Postby ghiadub » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:21 am

Playing fretless has changed my playing just by vibrato becoming part of it in both fretted and fretless. I rarely used vibrato before I got into fretless playing.

By using vibrato, I noticed naturally, how I will speed up depending on how high the note is for proper "blossom".

This got me listening to each note "telling" me how to treat it with my left hand. (please don't think I am insane for that comment)

I naturally started "blossoming" my fretted notes and playing more on the fret instead of behind it, and using the same vibrato (violin style) to control the attack and sustain.

So, yes, could not agree more. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby onamission » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:25 pm

ghiadub wrote:This got me listening to each note "telling" me how to treat it with my left hand. (please don't think I am insane for that comment) [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

That's a very good description of how it is to play fretless, I totally agree! I do believe it helps immensely to play fretless. The "feedback" you get is very helpful on fretted bass as well.
"He that is taught only by himself, has a fool for a master." - Hunter S. Thompson

"It's got to come from within, or it's not there" - Miles Davis
onamission

Postby nig » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:02 pm

I agree too, I can almost emulate fretless playing on my fretted bass with the treble rolled back, by the left hand sensativity, rolling the finger pad with a slow soft vibrato or even bending notes up a semi or full tone.Oh...slides as well, another fretless lick that I use on the fretted bass and harmonic slides as well, the more I think about what you asked the more I think...yeah.
'Using yesterdays technology to create tommorrows problems today'

nig

Postby nolabass » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Ya... I think my years on URB made a difference. I learned to "sing" with my bass.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Golem » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 pm

I've always maintained that a FL is more responsive to everything, whether it's technique, string choice, construction materials and instrument design, etc etc. So it definitely sounds and feels like my hands are singing, at least after I get fully warmed up and involved with the music. I feel like I'm playing the entire instrument in 3D space. With frets, I feel like my playing is limited to the surface of the object in my hands. Hope that makes sense.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Laredo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Golem wrote:I've always maintained that a FL is more responsive to everything, whether it's technique, string choice, construction materials and instrument design, etc etc. So it definitely sounds and feels like my hands are singing, at least after I get fully warmed up and involved with the music. I feel like I'm playing the entire instrument in 3D space. With frets, I feel like my playing is limited to the surface of the object in my hands. Hope that makes sense.

Perfect sense............
:toke:
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
Laredo

Return to FRETLESS