In the studio

In the studio

Postby oogie boogie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:06 am

Ok, so how many folks here have intonation that's good enough to play fretless in the studio? I know that live I play fretless excluusively, but in the studio for most stuff, especially rock and other stuff that occasionally requires very minimal playing where bass notes ring out and are exposed, I use frets because my intonation isn't perfect, and in the past when playing fretless, I've had to go back and retrack or punch a few notes because they weren't dead on. Clients don't like you costing them loads of money in punches, so I was wondering how many of you have the intonation and the guts to just go for it. I've never used autotune on a bass, and don't even know if it works, but it seems kinda like sacrilage.

Do any of you have solid intonation exercises that work well, especially for closed position playing?

O
oogie boogie

Re: In the studio

Postby Father Gino » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:38 pm

I've recorded several CDs (even a real 45 rpm record) with a fretless, but never for a paying client. There are no solos or anything particularly fancy on any of them. I doubt that I know what perfect intonation even is, but none of my recordings have made me grimace when hearing them played back. My intonation exercises are mostly choosing to play simple music.
Father Gino

Postby Chuck M » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 pm

I've used both fretless electric and upright bass in the studio. I guess my intonation is pretty good because we did not have to fix any notes because of intonation problems.

I've been playing fretless electric a lot more these days. I have one of those Squier Vintage Modified fretless Jazz basses that is seeing a lot of action in one dumpy venue that I work in. That bass delivers more per dollar than any other bass I've owned.

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby bnyswonger » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 am

I've done several commercial sessions on both fretless and upright....I'm certainly not perfect, but I'm more likely to have to repair a timing problem than intonation on fretless.

I started playing one a long time ago, and i work with a guitarist who's a pitch obsessor, so I knew I'd better get it together or forget using the thing ever. Fortunately it's worked out.
Holding it down since you was a baby...
bnyswonger

Return to FRETLESS