Fretless Bass Photo Gallery

Re: Fretless Bass Photo Gallery

Postby Golem » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Here's some of my FLs. The site only allows 5 attachments per post ....

The P-bass with f-hole is a Fender AE-P, with both mag and piezo. Photo by previous owner.
The silver mutant is an Ibanez EDA905FL, also a mag+piezo setup. Nice ebanol plank. Ibanez photo.
Another Ibanez, an ATK FL with lined FB. Part of my tribe of MM-types.
B-3, another member of my MM-type tribe, in two pix by Bill Roberts [Fretless Bill] who built this bass. It's hollow with a purple heart FB and Audere pre. It's my "One".
Attachments
`Fen_AE-P-Bst.jpg
`EDA905FGP.jpg
`EDA905FGP.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
`ATK-FL_Bst.jpg
`B3i.jpg
`B3h.jpg
`B3h.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Last edited by Golem on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Golem » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:46 pm

5 more ..... Sometimes I think there aren't enuf pixels on the planet to do all of them.

My other Fender AE-P, plain, no burst, but shows classic headstock. Dealer photo.
Ho'berger Hohner with Ebanol FB. Built for double ball strings but I adapted some Roto black flats.
Lightwave Sabre-CFL. They don't make the maple FB anymore. Dealer photo.
A full-bodied Berger. Don't have it anymore, but you don't see one everyday, so ... show & tell.
Washburn AB-20. Great ax. Everyone should have one, but you can't have this one.
Attachments
`Fender_AE-P.jpg
`Fender_AE-P.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
`Hohner-B2AFL.jpg
`LightWave2.jpg
`LightWave2.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
`Steinb-XM2F.jpg
`Washbn-AB20_Bst4.jpg
Last edited by Golem on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Golem » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:18 pm

Coupla three more ......

Found a really nice pic [by Bill] of the patterning on B-3. Sometimes I think he put the PU there just cuz the wood told him to. It's NOT in the classic MM spot. It's an extra 3/4 inch *closer* to the bridge, and it rocks.

This Ray was my first good FL. Love me longtime. Everything electrical was converted to Basslines by the previous owner. I didn't know the difference way back when, but it was the only Ray I had ever tried that sounded right, so I bought it. Little did I realize that MM zealots might lynch me for owning a modded Ray of bridge mute vintage. The mutes work. I use them.

The Godin is also modded, having a Bart neck PU. The original Baggs piezo is intact, and the two systems have seperate controls and seperate output jacks. IOW, it's a stereo bass. It's also close to failsafe. Hafta do major structural damage to shut me down. Bassically, needs no back-up.
Attachments
`B3b.jpg
'StingRayFL_Nat4.jpg
`Godin4.jpg

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby joelalvesjr » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:45 am

My Guilber JA-05f model. Great fretless. Handmade in Curitiba- Brazil.
Brazilian mahogany body, Ipê fretboard and pau-marfim neck.
One P Schaller and one Music Man original pickups.
Gotoh golden bridge.
BARTOLINI NTBT.

Thanks, Joel Alves.

Last edited by joelalvesjr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G&L: 1984 EL TORO FRETLESS; 1984 IBANEZ MUSICIAN MFD PU

www.complexoj.com
joelalvesjr

Links: www.complexoj.com

Postby Laredo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:04 pm

Golem wrote:Here's some of my FLs. The site only allows 5 attachments per post ....

Sheeeesh.........I hate to see how many fretted models you have! Maybe you only play fretless? Either way, a nice collection indeed. I personally do not know anyone that has that many FL Basses............. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
YOU ARE NEVER TOO DEAD.......TO BE RESURRECTED!!!!
Laredo

Postby Golem » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:06 am

Laredo wrote:
Golem wrote:Here's some of my FLs. The site only allows 5 attachments per post ....

Sheeeesh.........I hate to see how many fretted models you have! Maybe you only play fretless? Either way, a nice collection indeed. I personally do not know anyone that has that many FL Basses............. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I only posted the examples for which I got pix, and yes I also play fretted basses. Often the fretted and FL are matched sets. But sometimes I avoid that. Frinstintz, the AB20 will not become 1/2 of a pair, cuz I dislike most fretted piezo basses, especially hollow bodies. I tried out a fretted LightWave. Not for me. Too klanky. Same with the Godin, and some others, but there are exceptions. I'm not a Jaco fan or a wannabee. It's less about a love of FL, and more about how I loooooves hollow bodies, and about my diszzsssslike of frets. It's not so much about "freedom and creativity" as it's about the voice I prefer to hear.

First of all, I'll admit to having way too many basses. If you wanna accumulate basses for their historical signifigance, or for design ideas that intrigue you, or whatever, your collection will grow according to those patterns. But if you wanna assemble a whole mess of basses that all speak with different accents and voices, FL is addictive, cuz FL basses as a genre yield more tonal variety, more difference in voicing due to even the most minor differences in design or materials, compare to fretted basses.

Here's my next FL. It's in transit to me right now:

Palatino.jpg

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby bnyswonger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:49 am

Holding it down since you was a baby...
bnyswonger

Postby GLJeff » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:46 pm

This was my first fretless, I didn't want to spend the big bucks on one till I tried one out. Surprisingly it has a real nice sound for $289, intonation was on the money too. It's a Brice 6 string with active electronics. (lousy photo I know...)
GLJeff

Previous

Return to FRETLESS