Who has a Skyline Decade ordered?

Who has a Skyline Decade ordered?

Postby Chef » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:58 am

anyone...?
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Re: Who has a Skyline Decade ordered?

Postby sb69coupe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:33 pm

I've got one on order, active with the humbuckers. Will likely unload my 44-01 once the Decade gets here. No real need for two active 4 strings.

I'm really looking forward to its arrival [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
sb69coupe

Postby Funkster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:02 am

My buddy Jeff has one on order and has for while now. I'll see if I can get him over here and post.. He's Zoomboy on TB and Jeffbass at the Bassment.
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it.
JFH'Productions

Henry
Funkster

Links: http://www.myspace.com/jfhproductions
http://www.jfhproductions.net
Vintage Fender basses and 70's SVT's that about sums it up for me.

Postby Chef » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 am

the bassment?
Columbia, Missouri.
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Chef

Postby KPJ » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:36 am

Chef wrote:the bassment?

You've never been in...

THE BASSMENT?
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Links: Fender Blacktop Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz Fretless
ADA MB-1 Peavey IPR-1600 Ashdown Little Bastard 30 Peavey 410TVX Acoustic B15
www.revebnation.com/uncleruth

Postby Chef » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:00 am

cool; thx
never been...
Columbia, Missouri.
Chef

Postby hmagman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Any reviews of the Decade? Who's got one??? [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Chef » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Ha!
I ordered one, single coil, passive.
Here's my review from that other forum:

I've not reported back on this as quickly as I might have due to some technical difficulites. The bass as I recieved it had a large and ever-present hum, and touching strings to the pickup cover not only killed the hum, it killed signal entirely.
I traded a couple of emails with Kirk at customer service. He sent me a schematic. Everything seemed to be fine. I traced the grounds from the pups and pickups covers with an ohm meter. It was all as it should have been...til I got to the output jack.
Which is a real tight fit in relation to the tone pot. The ground lug from output jack was touching the tone pot. Loosened the football plate, loosen the jack, rotate a little: problem solved. At that point I pulled the jackplate and put a tab of gaffers tape over the tone pot to prevent further problems.
Now, the fun stuff!
The Decade came with a "Plek'd in Chicago" hang tag. And man, what a difference that makes! As delivered, the fingerboard was dead flat, and the action was slammed down. Low, low, low! Way too low for me I set all the bridge saddles a full 1 1/2 turns higher to get to my "medium low" action.
The neck itself is beeeeeeautiful to play. Very much like the Scheff 4 banger I had. A little wider, and substantively deeper than your typical Jazz; and very much like a G&L JB2, or Fender CS 62 Jazz. Narrow, but meaty. The little vintage frets were beautifully finished, and the neck is fast and smooth.
Overall fit and finish-jackplate aside-was exemplary.
Sonically...it's kinda like the Scheff, as you might expect due to it's unique pickup placement. The pickups are hot, and provide big, clear single coil tone. The bridge pickup barks nicely. With the tone all on, and the nice Lakland med/light nickel rounds, it grinds nicely. Roll the tone back and get a great Jaco burp.
The neck pickup is Large and In Charge. For the guy that asked, it does indeed sound very much like the DarkStar'd Tele I have. Big, clear, woody...I used my Epi 410UL and a TFB550B, and had to roll bass out both on the sub-bass, and at ~60hz to clear things up. Can't tell you if this was the axe or the cab at this point; but I won't be using the 410UL on my Saturday gig: I'll use something with less inherent low end. I suspect the neck pickup will record very well. Hopefully, I'll find the neck pickup more usefull on it's own with a different cab/different room. Last night, it was just too dang big! I ended up running the bridge pickup on full, and using the neck volume to "roll heft in and out" as required.

My two gripes:
1) It seems to me as tho the Levi's gig bag quality is down. Amount and density of padding seems less to me than the other two I have that will "stand up on their own." This one doesn't, and seems less substantive. I'll have to compare directly tho.
2) I knew this going in..but...ergonomically, it's a little challenging. The upper horn falls short of the 12th position. This makes the lower positions a little bit of a reach. I knew this going in, and my Reverends are very similar in this regard. If this doesn't trouble you, disregard it. The body itself lays against you nicely, and the forearm contour is very comfortable. If the longer reach doesn't bother you, it's very nice to wear and play.

That's it for now. Bitchin' bass.
Chef

Postby hmagman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Sounds like a keeper, of course now I need to try one. I'll check it out at NAMM, more than likely Dan will have one on-hand to demo.

Congrats! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] I green with envy...
Harry
hmagman

Postby Rich M » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks for the review. I still get a bit of a thrill every time I see the "Decade" name in print (I'm the lucky guy who won the name-the-bass contest a couple years back). I'm very happy to see this model catching on and that they came out with the Skyline version. Originally, I was to be awarded a Skyline, but I didn't want to wait, so Dan cut me a great deal on a USA model. Someday, I'd still like to own the Skyline version as well, since it looks different than mine with the blocks on the neck and the color scheme, and also the Chi-sonic pickups.

Oh yeah..... worthless_without
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby Chef » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:09 am

sorry, been to busy for pics: boooo!

i'll try to get some up over the weekend here...still picking up, drinking up, and eating, sleeping, etc;)

spent a nice night in front of the fireplace watching movies with the SO and dawgses.
Columbia, Missouri.
Chef

Postby Barklessdog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm

Pics of mine which is active.

I picked it up at the shop - John holding my bass
Barklessdog

Postby Barklessdog » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:22 pm

This bass is a different animal that is not like any bass I have owned- In a good way.
Barklessdog

Postby Chef » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:34 pm

As it turns out: not my thing.
Excellent bass, but, flipped it.
Columbia, Missouri.
Chef

Postby nolabass » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:54 pm

How do the Chi-Sonics compare to the DarkStars?
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Next

Return to LAKLAND