What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Postby throckmorten » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:18 am

I just visited the Lakland site for the first time in a while. They've done a nice job with it.

I noticed that the model names are now "series" names. The Scheff series the Duck Dunn series. It allows the company to introduce variations on the theme but keep or imply that certain basic features remain. Not a bad thing. But it makes me wonder what conditions apply when you license a company to use your name. Does anyone know if Jerry or Duck, Daryl or Bob get some kind of occasional payment, ongoing royalties or is it a lump sum up front? The add copy does not mention if they have any hand in the re-design. You sort of hope they have an option to approve what goes out with their name on it, but business-wise there's no reason to assume so.

So the Lakland business model seems to be a bit different in this respect from Fender, which releases an artist model and leaves it on the market the way it was introduced with few if any changes. (The Geddy went from block in-lays to painted on blocks, but I believe the bass is substantially unchanged since the first one. Nothing like repositioning the pickups). In stead of a series, they just release another "model" with a different artist name.

I also noticed that the Scheff has re-designed pickups and pickup placement. Fairly major impact, I should think. I've never been close to one, but over the years I've consistenly heard nothing but praise for the unique sound of the Scheff. I'm surprised they tinkered with it. Maybe it was too unique?

Just musing out loud I guess.
EGAD!
throckmorten

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Templar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:43 am

Have'nt tried the new Lakland pickups. I expect they're very good, but I kinda liked having the various bass models with their specific after-market pickups assigned to them. All top-hand stuff with distict voices.

I'm prolly alone on this, but I'll throw it out there anyway....

I don't quite get the Scheff intention. Very nice bass, but a couple lipsticks in a 34" solid body is never gonna sound anything like a Dano, preamp or not. Or maybe it was never meant to.

Also I could never stop thinking....."nice bass, this Scheff, but it could sooo use a third lipstick". Any other voice in the wilderness?
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby Chef » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 pm

this
http://www.lakland.com/scheff.htm

looks like the same old scheff to me.
i put fralins in the one I had, and it was grrrrreat. loved the neck on that thing.

i have a new decade, and them chi-sonics are fer-real-goodness.
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Postby throckmorten » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:06 am

Chef wrote:this
http://www.lakland.com/scheff.htm

looks like the same old scheff to me.
i put fralins in the one I had, and it was grrrrreat. loved the neck on that thing.

i have a new decade, and them chi-sonics are fer-real-goodness.

The Scheff looks the same in the picture, but . . .

"New to this model is a set of low-output Kent Armstrong Split-Tube pickups cased in "lipstick" covers that provide a vintage look and sound. The pickups are coupled with an onboard preamp to provide a warm and defined mid-tone reminiscent of some of Jerry's most popular lines. The pickups are also placed farther from one another within the body - set nearer to the bridge and neck respectively, opening up an extremely broad tonal range. "
EGAD!
throckmorten

Postby Chef » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:23 am

sounds like the same old scheff to me...
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Postby nolabass » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Yeah.... Scheff used a Dano with an outboard Sadowsky preamp and Lakland tried to emulate that for Jerry. Which isn't really a Dano tone either. T-Bone Burnett used that tone a bunch on CDs he produced. Scheff requested an Active 34" Dano from Lakland.....so it's pretty close IMHO.

I do use mine where I would use a Dano. It's not exact but in ways is better and sets in the mix better. I have 3-4 year old TI flats on it and with the preamp it can thump just as hard and push the fundamental even more than a Dano. There aren't a lot of bass players that want less sustain, mids and highs. IMHO those frequencies clash with other instruments and keeping my sonic space gives a typical 4 piece band a much better overall sound. G&Ls are not in my palate because of the extreme responses. Short scale basses bug my big hands too so I like the Scheff for vintage tones..... but I must admit my Lakland Hollowbody gets that call the most.

The Scheff is one of the sharpest and classiest bass designs there is IMHO. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:40 pm

I love my Inca silver Scheff 5. To my ears the sound is definitely "vintage", so it gets the call when "modern" ain't gonna cut it. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

It just needs a set of flats on it to really get that vintage vibe, so I am doing my due diligence with string brands. TIs are on the short list, as well as Chromes, DRs and LaBellas.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Return to LAKLAND