Standard or Deluxe?

Standard or Deluxe?

Postby Jericho79 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey everyone. Last night I saw a local band perform at my student center, and the bass player in the band was playing a Lakland Hollowbody.

The Hollowbody was fretted, and the fretboard was made out of rosewood with dots embedded in it. So I could tell that it was a Skyline. And I think it had a 3-tone sunburst colour.

So here's my question:

If you see a bass player on stage playing a Lakland Hollowbody- How can you tell whether that Hollowbody is a Standard or Deluxe? Are there certain key features that can differentiate between the two kinds? What do you need to look out for? Can you just eyeball it? [smilie=icon_confused.gif]

Do any of you Lakland experts here know for sure? [smilie=coz.gif]

Thanks in advance!
Jericho79

Re: Standard or Deluxe?

Postby nolabass » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm

As far as I know a Deluxe would only be fancy finishes. Flame or the like. Sunburst would be a standard Hollowbody in Skyline. At least mine is. Skylines were in Sunburst, Gold and Candy Apple. I think Deluxe would only be US models too.

I think the Skyline Hollowbodys are very very close to the US version. So much so I would be hard pressed to trade my Skyline for a US.

Mine does have a mismatch in the wood grain you wouldn't see in a Deluxe BTW.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Steve in NM » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:33 am

The differences between a US and Skyline Hollowbody would be hard to spot from a distance. The easiest to see would be in the sunburst - the US Deluxe is a tobacco SB - no red in the burst. Also, the tops of US basses (Deluxe) are flame maple while the Skylines are not flamed. Harder to spot - the bridge saddles on Skylines are brushed stainless, while the US are shiny chrome. Finally, the neck dots on the US are birdseye maple while the Skylines are plastic - try spotting that from a distance!
As has been noted before, Dan Lakin has said that the Hollowbodies are the Laklands with the least difference between the US and the Skylines, but I still loves me my US Hollowbody Deluxe.
Steve
Steve in NM

Postby AchimII » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm

nolabass wrote:Skylines were in Sunburst, Gold and Candy Apple. .

And silver... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
AchimII

Return to LAKLAND