Last 55-01 Questions???

Last 55-01 Questions???

Postby hmagman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 am

I'm getting ready to jump on the 55-01 modification bandwagon. There are several threads here and at other forums that suggest ideas for the change out of the pickups and preamps.

I'm currently planning to install Nordstrand DC pickups, Aguilar OP3 preamp ( Vol - Blend - Treble - Mid(mid freq-push/pull)- Bass Pots), a passive/active switch and 2-switches for series/single/parallel selection (one for each pickup).
Any opinions on the setup?
OR
Should I just go for the total Nordstrand package (pups and pre) with Volume (pull passive), Blend, Passive Tone, Mid (pull frequency selector) and Treble/Bass Stack and the 2-switches for series/single/parallel selection (one for each pickup).
[smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Thanks!
Harry
hmagman

Re: Last 55-01 Questions???

Postby ghiadub » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 am

Harry, I recently purchased a tone hammer (opb3 stomp box) and it sounds great, plus you can use it with all your passive basses.

I love those DC Nordys, I just bought a set for one of my basses. They are happy to make a custom set for the same price based on your string spacing preference. Mr Wymore hooked me up.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Harry, as you know, your second choice is the exact setup I have with my CAR/rosewood 55-01, installation done up at Nordstrand Guitars. The Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups in this bass are series wound.

I have another set of Nordstrand DCs that are parallel wound. These are going in the other 55-01 I have (TTSB/maple). More than likely I am going to get a Nordy preamp for it, but I am still keeping an open mind about preamp choices. I talked to Carey Nordstrand on the phone before NAMM about bringing this bass up to his place so he and the boys can repeat the magic a second time. He outlined the differences between series and parallel wound DCs, and we also talked about various preamp choices. Whatever I decide with the preamp, he said to bring it on up when I was ready. I do know that before he developed his own preamp, Carey used Aguilar and Audere for his bass builds.

It would seem that you can't go wrong with either of the setups you have in mind. Decisions, decisions...

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:13 am

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm planning to contact Cary this week to ask about the differences (in his opinion) between the Aguilar and his new preamp. I pretty much set on Nordstrand DC (parallel wound) pups.

Of course the next question is will I do the work myself or send to to Cary... [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Chef » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Use the Nord preamp with the Nord pickups. It's a beautiful pairing.
The Nord preamp is my fave out of:
audere, obp-1, obp-3, and the LH pre from lakland.

The Nord is the most natural sounding. The highs aren't overly brilliant, the lows not overly dubby...adjustment is useful for it's entire range...the LH3 is close to this. The OBP3 isn't, and gets either boomy or glassy after a point. The mid control on the Nord is perfect-for me-adds beef and push-thru-the-mix power. Definately get the passive tone option. Many times that's all I use.

While I won't take the LH preamp out of my DC5'd 5501-yet-I have taken out one OBP3, and one Audere and replaced them with the Nord pre. It's fab with the Nord pickups.

Do the coil taps!
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Postby hmagman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks Chef!

I've ordered the Nordie DC and preamp from John Wymore. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Excitment is building...

I'll most likely hold off on the coil taps for now...

Thanks for all the help.
Harry
hmagman

Postby Chef » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:38 am

I wouldn't hold off on the coil taps. I run mine almost exclusively in single coil. Sometimes parallel; or sometimes one single coil, one parallel.
Very seldom do I run series.
Columbia, Missouri.
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Chef

Postby hmagman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Chef wrote:I wouldn't hold off on the coil taps. I run mine almost exclusively in single coil. Sometimes parallel; or sometimes one single coil, one parallel.
Very seldom do I run series.

Oh man, now you got me thinking again...got a sketch for the coil taps?
[smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Chef » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:04 pm

No sir, but IIRC, Nordstrand are doing your install?
I got the schematic I used from them. My tech kept it.

If Nord aren't doing your install, just email Carey for a schematic!
Columbia, Missouri.
Chef

Postby hmagman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Chef wrote:No sir, but IIRC, Nordstrand are doing your install?
I got the schematic I used from them. My tech kept it.

If Nord aren't doing your install, just email Carey for a schematic!

Changed my mind thinking that I'll do the install. Just need to ask Carey for the schematic.
Harry
hmagman

Postby Chef » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Areyou buying a Nord preamp?
If you haven't made the purchase yet, you could have them pre-wire it for you...
Columbia, Missouri.
Chef

Postby hmagman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:09 am

Chef wrote:Areyou buying a Nord preamp?
If you haven't made the purchase yet, you could have them pre-wire it for you...

Actually, Carey and the boys are prewiring the unit. I've sent an email to John to request adding the coil tap switches.
GREAT suggestion! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Postby Chef » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:19 am

very good!

them guys are the best. I hope you like the nord pups/pre as much as I do. i think it's the shizzle.
Columbia, Missouri.
Chef

Postby jshilgebass » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Harry, the Nordstrand Pickups and Basses Forum has a wiring diagram for Dual Coils with a 3-way switch (series/single coil/parallel).

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:42 am

Joe,

Thanks for the link...
Harry
hmagman

Next

Return to LAKLAND