BIG NEWS

BIG NEWS

Postby harleyyy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Lakland Press Release
Press Release, For Immediate Release
April 30, 2010

CHICAGO, IL-USA. Pickup and electric guitar manufacturer Hanson Musical Instruments,LTD, announces that a group, led by itself, has purchased the globally respected bass guitar brand Lakland Basses of Chicago. Former Lakland executive John Pirruccello has been named President of the newly formed Lakland Guitars, LLC, and will be responsible for managing the company's daily operations and future development effective immediately. John assumes these duties in addition to his position as head of the Hanson Musical Instruments guitar division.

Pirruccello's background includes 11 years at Lakland as Global Sales Director as well as the company's Chief Operations Officer. He contributed greatly to the development of current Lakland products, including the "Skyline Series" line of bass guitars; and was responsible for expanding Lakland's dealer and distribution network around the world. “JP” is also a prominent Chicago musician that has performed, recorded and or collaborated with the likes of Keith Richards, Staind, Alejandro Escovedo, Wilco, and others. John will oversee the seamless transition at Lakland's present facilities in Chicago. Lakland Guitars, LLC is retaining current luthiers and support staff.

Hanson Musical Instruments wants to thank Lakland founder Dan Lakin for his vision and stewardship of the Lakland brand, which he founded in 1994 with Hugh McFarland.

Hanson Musical Instruments has been Lakland's primary supplier of bass pickups and preamp products since 2005. The principals of Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD were previously shareholders of Lakland from 2000 until 2009.

Lakland is a manufacturer of high quality bass guitars and accessories.

Hanson Musical Instruments is a manufacturer of professional electric guitars and of electric guitar and bass pickups and electronics.

Websites: http://www.hansonguitars.com and http://www.hansonpickups.com

Bo Pirruccello, President
Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD
2044 N Dominick St.
Chicago, IL 60614
bo@hansonguitars.com (847) 207-7680

John Pirruccello
President, Lakland Guitars, LLC
2044 N Dominick St.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Re: BIG NEWS

Postby randall » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Well hopefully Dan and Hugh got paid for a job well done. Now I guess we wait and see what happens next. Could be good, could be bad. :hid:
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby nolabass » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Congrats to Dan for seeing a vision and following through till retirement. I hope this is what he wanted and is happy with the outcome.

Oh......and I am thrilled to own 4 Pre-HMI Lakland basses. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby randall » Sat May 01, 2010 3:39 pm

nolabass wrote:
Oh......and I am thrilled to own 4 Pre-HMI Lakland basses. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Hmm.. I was thinking of parting with my DJ, but now that you mention it, methinks the value just appreciated.
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby hmagman » Sat May 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Yup, big news!

I need to snag a DJ or something... [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby bdgotoh » Sat May 01, 2010 9:34 pm

All the signature model names are gone, and the DJ isn't in the catalog at all.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby throckmorten » Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 am

So, basses that used to have names like Glaub and Osborne now have anonymous 44-60 and 44-65.
How much difference between the names and the numbers, do you suppose? I'd love to have access to the old spec pages to compare.

And I'd love to know what is behind the business decision to drop the signatures. I have no idea how that works. Do they pay a royalty to Bob and Joe for every bass sold with their name or is it a one-time deal?

Dunno about you but I find it easier to sort and separate products by identifiable names and only a few odd numbers. I can never keep track of the Yamaha and Ibanez lines, it's all a blur of numbers. The Lakland brand was evenly divided between the signature lines and the contrasting and distinctive 44s and 54s. Just in terms of marketing I'm sorry to see that disappear.
EGAD!
throckmorten

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon May 03, 2010 9:07 am

Actually, the model numbers aren't new, they just weren't used with the signature models [basic marketing]. Laklands US model numbering system is as follows:

1st digit = number of strings
2nd digit = scale length
3rd & 4th digits = year reference

For example:
44-94 = 4 strings, 34" scale, Dan & Hugh's original design they came up with in 1994.
55-94 = 5 strings, 35" scale, Dan & Hugh's original design they came up with in 1994.
44-60 = 4 strings, 34" scale, design based on a 1960's Jazz bass (à la Joe Osborne).
44-64 = 4 strings, 34" scale, design based on a 1964 P bass (à la Bob Glaub).
44-64 Custom = 4 strings, 34" scale, design based on a customized 1964 P bass (à la Duck Dunn).

Non-signature Skyline models come in two flavors -01 and -02. Why they dropped the signature names and the Darryl Jones model all together I don't know. [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Mon May 03, 2010 4:55 pm

I've heard that Glaub, Osborn, and Dunn were paid a fee for each bass made with their name on it. Seems like an obvious place to cut costs.

I think the DJ thing is related to the original designer resuming production of basses so DJ went back to him. The DJ design was leased from A basses, the one I had had something written on the back of the headstock.

I don't mind the name changes except it's super easy to search databases for Glaub, most search engines won't accept short strings of numbers.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Don Kane » Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 pm

wow, that's pretty surprising. I'm also happy I have 4 pre- HMI USA Laklands here. Including serial #8 44-94, my favorite fretted bass. I was thinking of selling the 55-94 or the fretless 44-94, but maybe I should hold on to them.
Don Kane
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 am

Don Kane wrote:I was thinking of selling the 55-94 or the fretless 44-94, but maybe I should hold on to them.

I'm kinda in the same boat Don. I have two pre-HMI Laklands: 55-94 Deluxe fretted I got from Brad and a 55-94 Deluxe fretless that I got from you. Both amazing basses, but the fretted is seeing very little action and I thought it best to move it on to someone who could USE it. Decisions. [smilie=icon_question.gif] [smilie=icon_question.gif] [smilie=icon_question.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Tue May 04, 2010 6:13 pm

I caught the pre HMI Lakie fever! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Found a Skyline LPB DJ5, rosewood board with Aero pickups, Made in Korea, NOS at a east coast store...

Should be here soon. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Wed May 05, 2010 10:59 am

I'm not really sure what to think about all this. Truth be told, I really have been "done" with Lakland for awhile now in the sense that I am so enamored with my Joe and Skyline Hollowbody that I play them regularly and would never sell them. Never, so I couldn't really care less how any changes affect their value; they are invaluable to me and my hope is they stay in my family long after I drop off this mortal coil. I'm not a collector, so I concluded some time ago that I was pretty unlikely to need or want anything else from their line-up. Other things out there intrigue me more. I hope Dan gets into something where his creativity and passion can thrive--seems like a really cool dude. Don't know anything about the new guys, but it seems like they are a perfect fit to take over the operation from what everyone "in the know' is saying about them. I'll be watching as an interested spectator, as I have for some time now, and hope the best for a company from my hometown that is near and dear to my heart.
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Return to LAKLAND