Scheff Props.

Scheff Props.

Postby nolabass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 am

Ever have one of those basses.....every time you take it out other bass players make a point to compliment you on the tone? My Scheff seems to never fail. I have sold it, retrieved it, cased it and generally not payed enough attention to it. I traded with Butch and only after letting it go I felt it was an exceptional example. Begged it back and clinch it with white knuckles now. From my dead cold hands so to speak.
Short story is... I called Dan at Lakland and inquired about the Skyline Scheffs. He told me then, before they announced they were dumping the model. He offered me a players discount on one and I jumped. Soon after the DP versions came around and several of our bass brethren grabbed one. I realize now he gave me a sweet spot in the Scheff basses.
Last night I set in with friends and the bass player had 2 B15s, one on each side of the stage and a BDDI to the PA. That with TI Flats on a Scheff was just wonderful. It's one of those "Sounds great out front" kinda sounds.

I love my Scheff and promised her I'd play her more often. Cross my heart....
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Re: Scheff Props.

Postby steveonbass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 am

Last night I set in with friends and the bass player had 2 B15s, one on each side of the stage and a BDDI to the PA. That with TI Flats on a Scheff was just wonderful. It's one of those "Sounds great out front" kinda sounds.

wow - cool setup!
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 pm

nolabass wrote:Ever have one of those basses.....every time you take it out other bass players make a point to compliment you on the tone?

Yeah, but it's my Skyline Hollowbody (Barts era/Inca Silver). Gets compliments all the time. My Joe never does. I usually play both on a gig, and where I have led off with the Hollow, later in the gig I have had people walk by the stage/bandstand/corner of the bar/whatever and "suggest" I put the Joe down and strap the Hollow back on. More than once. With LaBella flats, it's just a joy to play, and sits fat and huge in the mix. My bandmates know my gear slutting ways full well, and its the only piece I've brought through that they have made me swear I would never sell. The love it when I start off the night with it, and play it all night. It got me interested in 4 bangers again after a few year hiatus of only 5ers. And it keeps chasing P-basses out of my house.

I'd love to try a Scheff sometime. How would it compliment the Hollow? How would it be redundant? There's just something about those early Korean Skylines. I had several, and they were all quality pieces in terms of value for the dollar. Never dabbled with a Scheff though. Probably because I recall only ever seeing them with rosewood boards, and I'm a maple guy. Did they come with maple boards too? Not that it really matters as much to me anymore, it was the rosewood that kept me from trying a Hollow for so long, and the Hollow has made me see error of my ways.
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Postby nolabass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:46 pm

The Scheff would be too close to the hollowbody. I have and adore my hollowbody too. The hollowbody sounds best, the Scheff covers set-ins easier. I won't take my hollowbody out unless I have some EQ control........ where the Scheff fits in easier having active on board EQ..
But, no... I wouldn't jump the the Scheff pool with a nice hollowbody laying around.

I should add the both have TI Flats on them.....with rounds they stand apart more in tone of course.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 pm

Interesting...thanks. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif] I don't know if it was you or someone else, but I think I recall someone referring to the Scheff as the "Swiss Army knife" of basses because of its ability to sound good in any setting.
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Return to LAKLAND