Seeking comments on Scheff vs. 44-02

Seeking comments on Scheff vs. 44-02

Postby Personatech » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:56 am

Hi all,

I may have an opportunity to trade my 44-02 Deluxe (Lakie pups) for a Skyline Scheff 4 over this thang called the Internet. Problem is, I won't be able to A/B the two in person so.... I'm looking on comments comparing the two particularly with regards to tone. I suspect that the 44-02 with its coil-tapping is more flexible but perhaps has a more modern tone, while the Scheff has more of an old-school thump?

Tom
Personatech

Re: Seeking comments on Scheff vs. 44-02

Postby Templar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 pm

A couple Scheffs and a 4402 Dlx came thru here a while ago.

The 4402 had factory Basslines pickups with the stock Bartolini pre. I found the 4402 was a nice bass overall, but came up kinda short on clarity for my tastes, despite the coil tap. Dunno if it was the pup/pre combo or what, but I noticed it immediately. I'm sure yours sounds crisper than mine did.

I liked the Scheffs a lot more. The necks were to die for. Liked how they sounded set flat, and thought the EQ was well voiced for the two lipsticks, but I kept thinking if the Scheff had a third pickup in the center, it would be perfect.

One small niggle for me was a ground hum I got with my thumb anchored on the chrome pickup covers. Both my Scheffs did it, so I assume they all do. There prolly is a fix, but I never got a reply from my emails to Lakland about it.

Not a bad looking bass, either. (shameless picture post)

Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby nolabass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Here's a quick sound bite from when I first got mine with rounds. I have TI flats on now and it's way funkier. Keep in mind the bass was made to sound like a Daneletro short scale through a Sadowsky pre-amp. Think short scale thump and flats.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1508535
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Templar wrote:One small niggle for me was a ground hum I got with my thumb anchored on the chrome pickup covers. Both my Scheffs did it, so I assume they all do. There prolly is a fix, but I never got a reply from my emails to Lakland about it.

I've never noticed my Scheff 5 string having problems with ground hum, but just to make sure I took it out just now and played it through an amp guaranteed to show up any such problems. I got no hum with my thumb anchored on the chrome pickup covers. Were both of your Scheffs 4 string? Just a shot in the dark, but I wonder if this hum problem only showed up with 4 string pickups, and not the 5 string ones.

The Scheff definitely has an old school vibe going for it. I've never owned any Lakland -02 basses, but my three 55-01 basses sound more modern in comparison. One of them is still in stock configuration (not for long [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] ), but the modern feel compared to the Scheff still applies.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Templar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Were both of your Scheffs 4 string? Just a shot in the dark, but I wonder if this hum problem only showed up with 4 string pickups, and not the 5 string ones.

Hey Joe, yeah mine were both four bangers. I seem to remember some other Scheff owners mentioning the same issue, in the old dudepit. Don't remember if there was a distinction between 4's and 5's. Or between USA and Skyline.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Return to LAKLAND