Who still owns/owned a Skyline Scheff? Serial number?

Who still owns/owned a Skyline Scheff? Serial number?

Postby nolabass » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:07 am

I'm curious who still has one or who might remember the serial number. Nobody seems to know how many Skyline Scheffs there are. I assume the Gold runs were the last? Figure the highest number gold one might be a ballpark number of how many were made.

Mine CAR is LS02090029.... so 2002, 9th month number 29
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Re: Who still owns/owned a Skyline Scheff? Serial number?

Postby jshilgebass » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Got out my 5-string Skyline Scheff (Inca Silver), and the serial number is: JS02090013

Your serial number starts with "L", while mine starts with "J". Is this how they distinguish between 4 and 5 string Scheff basses?

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Freddels » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:14 pm

jshilgebass wrote:Your serial number starts with "L", while mine starts with "J". Is this how they distinguish between 4 and 5 string Scheff basses?
Joe Hilgeman

I usually distinguish the difference by counting the number of strings or tuners. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] :hid:
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby nolabass » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Typo.....JS is correct... I guess they are "rare" whatever that means.....and 5rs even more so. I don't think I have ever seen a US 5r.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 pm

nolabass wrote:Typo.....JS is correct... I guess they are "rare" whatever that means.....and 5rs even more so. I don't think I have ever seen a US 5r.

According to the Lakland FAQ serial number info, looks like they are very rare - just 19 USA Scheffs made by the start of 2009. They made 13 the first year and then only 1 or 2 per year after that!
JERRY SCHEFF 4 & 5 STRING
JS01-JS13 2001
JS14-JS15 2002
JS16 2005
JS17-JS18 2008
JS19- 2009
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby DKWilkins » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I had a gold Skyline Scheff, but I don't recall the serial #... bought it new off the 'Pit back in the day. According to Steve it was one of the last 2 made.
Ambiguity... What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness
DKWilkins

Postby Piranha » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:01 pm

I have a Shoreline gold Skyline Scheff I bought from a guy on the Dude Pit in July '07. It's S/N is 05052457. No "JS," "LS," or any other letters, just the numbers.
Piranha

Postby nolabass » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 pm

There weren't many. I called Lakland back then to inquire and Dan told me they were gonna discontinue them....set me up with their demo. We discussed them selling off the inventory, I mentioned in the the Pit and the LE was born. Those gold ones were the last I think for the Skylines at least. If yours was #57, that has to be pretty close. 57-60 Skyline Scheffs out there?.......19 USA?
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:31 am

Mine is #05040948. It's a Skyline Sheff in Shoreline Gold bought for me by The Wife for my 40th B-day off of Dude over 5 years ago.

I modded the sh*t out of mine. Was not crazy about the pickups and pre, and felt the yearning for a P in between the two J's. Sooooo......It's got three Hanson pickups. Single coil Vintage J neck, Vintage P and a 5% overwound single coil J bridge wired V/V/V/T.

The bass itself is a sa-WEET piece of wood. (No jokes here guys.) Not super light at just over 9 lbs, but balances perfectly and is very resonant. Nice tight, dry, focused tone out of this bass. I really dig the Hanson pickups. My fav bass ever.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby nolabass » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:15 am

For the first time I am considering selling mine. Mine is the best one I have seen and under 9 lbs. It was Laklands demo after all. LOVE it but my hollowbody Lakland does the same gig so i feel I have overlap. GASin for a 5 travel 5 string. The Scheff works better because the EQ flexibility but the hollowbody is.... well a hollowbody.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Return to LAKLAND