Lakland 55-64 Bob Glaub 5 string P Bass

Postby nolabass » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Ordered from Lakland and arrived today. Plans to get better pics and sound clips soon. In the mean time.....great finish and fit. The Hanson pups sound good but I'm hating the SS zingy strings. I played a new Fender 5 string P and boy am I glad I waited for this. Lakland just feels more responsive and musical to me and the 35" scale does help with the b string. I need time with it and a set-up change but this is one cool P 5r. Thinking about a feaux gold aluminum guard down the road. The Ash body is beautiful....tuff to find the seam in real light but the photo hints at it. I feel like they took special care building this one for me. I'm gonna believe it either way....makes for better bonding. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
55-64B_crop.jpg
Attachments
55-64A.jpg
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Re: Lakland 55-64 Bob Glaub 5 string P Bass

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:25 am

Beautiful!
Congrats!!!
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

...and I'm feelin' the anodized pickguard too.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby dlb1001 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:03 am

Tried the Skyline version vs. an American Std. I liked how the B string sounded on the Lakland vs. the Fender but there was a big difference in output. I rotated the volume knob on the Fender to make sure it wasn't intermittent but still, the Lakland was louder when both basses were dimed. Then, I check the spacing between the strings and the pickup on both basses; found that the strings on the Lakland were almost touching the pickup, which explained why the Lakland was so much louder. Also, this caused wolf tones when I fretted higher up the fingerboard.
Still almost bought the Lakland but I waiting for the DJ models to come out, before making a decision.
dlb1001

Postby nolabass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am

Flats or nickle.....flats or nickle......hmmmmm.

Freekin TI flats for this will cost $100 now days. Dayum. I have messed with flats enough I know I prefer TIs so if it's flats it's TI.

On the other hand I wanted to use this to sub for my 55-94 which has really old Lakland Nickle RRs.

How do y'all like the B string with flats? Seems counter productive to go with Lakland for their B string and use a flat that might hurt the tone. Hell may help flats with the 35" length and string excursion over the magnet.
I remember a lot of folks back in the Pit days playing around with it. Opinions?
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 am

dlb1001 wrote:Still almost bought the Lakland but I waiting for the DJ models to come out, before making a decision.

A DJ and this 5r P are too different worlds. An active DJ would be way cool. I have my 55-94 to cover that. If I played modern sounds and grooves I would do a DJ. I specifically needed/wanted a tradition look and tone to bring to roots gigs .
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Just a quick, hack job
but this should give ya an idea-

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby nolabass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks man......what do y'all think? The dang maple neck is sooo white it's hard to tell. I really wish the neck had some yellow vintage tint to it. The mint guard looks better in person then in the pic IMHO but I still lean towards the Duck look.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Nice Pete. Nice. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Gonz... I did *not* need to see that. [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Nice. I like the faux alumiguard.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm

nolabass wrote:Thanks man......what do y'all think? The dang maple neck is sooo white it's hard to tell. I really wish the neck had some yellow vintage tint to it.

C'mon Pete, git Dat Loosana bbq sauce, ala Po'Boy, Gumbo gnawin', jambalaya, greesy thang going on there brutha!!! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 am

My thought 'Zackly! Needs some grease!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Believe me I thought about it. Gonna get some grease on it tonight and tomorrow night for the first time. The shrimp Po' Boys are killin right now so maybe get some shrimp grease on it. Liking it but it's a biter. The maple neck with the ash body cuts like a knife compared to my alder/maple/Bart 55-94. Kinda funny feeling..... the neck feels close to my 55-94 and when I zone into the bass it strikes me how different the passive P Pups respond compared to the active Barts. The bass is very responsive to touch and i will learn to draw tones out of it as I meld with it. The romance will wear off and I will dial it in pretty soon. Like any new bass it just needs some hours played.
Still, can't imagine a better bass/value at the $1200 price point. The b string is good...pup set-up and attack have a lot to do with how the note forms but it is not a disappointment. Like Steve mentioned I want to see how well it holds up under a band. If the thing sets well and even, including the b string, I'll be grinning....... the thing is freekin beautiful too.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 pm

According to my fish scales this bass is 9.7lbs. I find I thought all my basses were lighter than they actually are. My 55-94 is 9.6lbs and i would have put it at 8.5......anywho, the bass is a pleasure to play. Any lighter and it would neck dive on me.
The low end is really nice and grindy. The bass sets well in the mix and the B string is solid and usable. I'm hating the top end but that's the dang SS strings. Heavier gauge nickles and some pup adjustment and we might be good to go.
Get some more playing time with it tomorrow in a Blues setting.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby noahvale » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 am

Love it. Try a set of D'addario Chromes (flats). I just put some on my homemade P and I'm really digging them. Yeah they are brighter than TI's, but at half the cost, just turn the tone knob on the bass a little. I've had Chromes on my swampash 5 for a couple of years and really like them.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Next

Return to LAKLAND