55-02, maple or rosewood fretboard?

55-02, maple or rosewood fretboard?

Postby flatheadbass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 am

I love the feel of the rw fretboard, but have never experienced the feel of a Skyline series maple board. Any thoughts / opinions? There's plenty of maple board 55-02's out there for sale; I haven't been able to find one with a rw board. Also...... found a used 55-02 online at 8.6 #'s, but has a painted body. What wood does Lakland use for their painted body?

Mucho gracias amigos!
On the verge of a nervous breakthrough.
flatheadbass

Re: 55-02, maple or rosewood fretboard?

Postby nolabass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:11 pm

If I were going 55-02 for the low end i would go maple personally. I think the maple helps with clarity on the low B string ever so slightly. IMHO YMMV
As well I would stick with what you know. What was the bass you borrowed and fell in love with?
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Re: 55-02, maple or rosewood fretboard?

Postby flatheadbass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:43 pm

nolabass wrote:If I were going 55-02 for the low end i would go maple personally. I think the maple helps with clarity on the low B string ever so slightly. IMHO YMMV
As well I would stick with what you know. What was the bass you borrowed and fell in love with?

One like dis!

It was a natural ash with a rosewood board......I really liked the sound and feel of it. However if the low end would be more distinct with a maple board, then I'm all for it. Then again, I may never hear the difference.
Attachments
Photo on 2012-07-11 at 21.19.jpg
On the verge of a nervous breakthrough.
flatheadbass

Return to LAKLAND