My bass sounds better than your bass.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Just sayin'.

SAM_0875 (480x640).jpg
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: My bass sounds better than your bass.

Postby Freddels » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Interesting. Does the neck pickup sound woofy?
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Freddels wrote:Interesting. Does the neck pickup sound woofy?

Not particularly, no. I mean, the position of the pickup is going to give you a certain tone, for sure. But the neck pickup has quite a bit of bite to it.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jshilgebass » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Loving that bass, Bruce. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I can't remember what all you got set up there with all those knobs. Can you please enlighten me? Someday I want to make me one like it, but as a 5-string.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks, Joe! Appreciate it!

Here's a blurb I had written for the latest Lakland Club thread over on TB:

Here's one for you. It's been my main player on/off for about 7 years. She's been rode hard and put up wet many a time. Just got it back from the Lakland shop, though, about 2 weeks ago with some great mods.

Started life as my 40th B-day present. A sweet looking Shoreline Gold Skyline Scheff. But I couldn't stand the lipstick pickups and the Bart pre. Soooooo....A few years of experimentation followed. I added the P pickup route early on and went-a-pickup swapping. EMG's, DiMarzios, Schaller's, Duncan Antiquity II's, Bart's. Probably more if I actually tried to remember.

Finally settled on some Hanson's. The J's are single coil Vintage J's and the bridge is 5% overwound. The P is a NeoPunch. These are my fav pickups by far. I had the shop install a Lakland/Hanson preamp and I slapped on some Lakie JO flats and good golly!, this bass sings!

Dan (can't remember his last name) at Lakland did all the work (and did a fantastic job) and recommended two blends. I can blend between the two J's, and then blend between the two J's and the P. If that makes sense? You can get an infinite array of tones with the pre and two blends and, as God as my witness, they allllll sound good!

The JO flats just thump and punch and growl. I tend to be a little sloppy and the flats are forgiving. Nothin' but tone!

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the result of years of messing around and might finally be done screwing with this bass.

I seem to be jonesin' for a light-ish hollowbody as of late. Can anybody give a quick opinion on the differences between the Bart pickups and the ChiSonics that come in the Skyline hollowbody basses?
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Cool story bro. NO. Seriously, Cool Story Bro, especially how you kinda came full circle old school/new school Lakland meld with that mind bending Hanson J/P/J pre dealie-bob. Holy smokes. You and Joe have both had good fun modifying the original Skyline stuff, and I love to read about guys taking a good thing and making it their own.

Curious what you didn't like about the lipsticks that started you down this road? Especially in light of your mention at the end of your post re interest in a HB. As I'm sure you saw in his FS thread and elsewhere, Nola Pete has mentioned that the Bart HB's cover at least some of the same ground as the Scheff lipsticks. It's the only thing that has kept me from ever snatching one up. Well, that, a wife, and the lack of a money tree in my backyard.

I'm a Bart HB true believer for that deep pillowy fat tone. Wears LaBella Flats. Most "aggressive" Bart pickups I have ever encountered. Love it, perfect counter to my Joe5. I can't offer a comparison to the ChiSonic version, but I'm guessing either would be an awesome counter-point to that beast you have put together, especially if you play a fair amount of roots/blues/country.
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am

You know, I gave the lipsticks plenty of time and tried lots of different strings and eq settings, but they have an inherent lack of mids (lower mids?) that I just could not dial in. Its' not that I didn't dig that "inherent tone", but that I just could not change it when I wanted to which drove me crazy. I still get that tubey-hollowy goodness with this setup when using the J's but with a little more "girth" thanks to the Hansons. And ten there's that sa-WEET Neopunch P.

Also: A) I think I just don't like bart pre's on any pickup other than a Bart. B) I would have flipped the bass but it's a real looker, IMO. And since The Wife bought it for me, due to my begging for it, for my 40th B-day, I don't think it would have been a good idea to flip it. C) It's a great piece of wood. Very resonant and balances perfectly on me. Not too heavy (yet) at a little over 9 lbs. D) The LH# pre was a gamble, but man, that thing KILLS! Again, IMO.

About the Lakie HB, I've actually got one on the way sporting Chi single coils. Great price and I just could not resist. From looking at the HB, it seems that the bridge pickup is farther away from the bridge than the Scheff? More of a "sweet spot" position, if you will? I'm half expecting my Scheff to do the HB thing plus some, and it's more than possible I'll be flipping the HB. But I've never tried one and well....If I really have to explain myself you'll never understand! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] And as of late the "sound in my head" is old school. The HB is due this Monday so I'll post impressions and maybe even get around to some clips if you ask reeeaaaalllll nice-like.

I'll add that NOLA's Scheff is a freakin' steal in the FS thread here. Even is you really can't swing it, you'll either get a keeper of a bass or be able to flip it with no loss. The Scheff's really have a unique sound that I've never come across.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby GonzoBass » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 am

Mr. Mom wrote:...And since The Wife bought it for me, due to my begging for it, for my 40th B-day, I don't think it would have been a good idea to flip it.

Wise.
Very wise indeed.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 pm

GonzoBass wrote:Wise.
Very wise indeed.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

Hey, man...I only look stupid.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:The HB is due this Monday so I'll post impressions and maybe even get around to some clips if you ask reeeaaaalllll nice-like.

I'll add that NOLA's Scheff is a freakin' steal in the FS thread here. Even is you really can't swing it, you'll either get a keeper of a bass or be able to flip it with no loss. The Scheff's really have a unique sound that I've never come across.

Looking forward to hearing about it [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Nuther day, nuther time, Nola's Scheff would be mine right now. I think I've finally reached a happy place with what I have.

I also just got this funny looking thing with 6 strings and Taylor on the headstock for the purpose of stimulating some new and different musical learning :hid:
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

SonicBlueJoe wrote:I also just got this funny looking thing with 6 strings and Taylor on the headstock for the purpose of stimulating some new and different musical learning :hid:

I'm a guitar player in my other musical life, and I have five Taylors in my skinny-string herd. I also live just a mile and a half from the Taylor factory. Bob Taylor keeps promising to bring back a bass guitar, but apparently it's not quite time to do it yet.

I've always felt that playing other instruments benefits my bass playing, and vice versa.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Welllll......I'm not really diggin' the HB. It sounds too....hollow! Seriously, it does. I'd like it if it was #4 or #5 in the stable but my finances will only allow a #1 and #2. And my #1 can sort of get that hollow sound. I guess, like NOLA, it's redundant. But I'm keeping the Scheff!

Plus, it hangs weird on my shoulder. Makes my left arm want to reach farther out than normal and makes my right hand feel all squnched up. Neck and action are nice, though. And it's a sweet looking bass. Just not my cup'o'tea.

**SIGH**
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Return to LAKLAND