~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Re: Seen these?

Postby FatherGino » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah, I've been looking at them since they first came out. I really want one. I had always wanted a Jerry Jones bass and this may be the closest thing to that. Maybe better. My pudgy little phalanges like the idea of a 30" scale and being a Lakland I suspect it plays really well.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby nolabass » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:25 pm

I like the punchy attack a 30" scale gives. Not so comfortable with them but get used to it pretty fast. I sure like my Skyline hollowbody. Plus that one weighs 7.6lbs.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:31 pm

The only short scale I ever played was an Ampeg bass with a MM style pickup in it. Was a loooong time ago at a local Music Go Round. I liked it quite a bit and IIRC, the price was right.

This looks cool! And under 8 lbs?? Nice! Plus, it's a Lakie! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby ghiadub » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:04 pm

They are not to pricy either, I picked one up about 6 months ago and it is now my main bass. Sounds just like a Dano, but just a little bit more of that sound.
This coming from a guy who has used a Dano longhorn as my main bass for the past few years.

Flats should be mandatory
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby FatherGino » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Santa brought me one of these!!!!!!! I've only fooled around with it for an hour or so with headphones but it seems pretty nifty. I haven't had a passive bass in a long, long time. Plays real nice as I would expect from Lakland. Haven't even put a strap on it yet but it's real light and the short scale doesn't seem to be too alien.

I thought these came with flats and was surprised to see rounds on it. It's probably worth getting a set specifically made for 30" scale, otherwise I'd throw on and old set of TIs. I wonder if Thomastik even makes a 30" scale set.
FatherGino

Postby Freddels » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:16 pm

TI does make a short scale set. They also make a set specifically for the Hofner Beatle bass.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby FatherGino » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Freddels wrote:TI does make a short scale set. They also make a set specifically for the Hofner Beatle bass.

Where are you seeing that? I could only find a 32" set.
FatherGino

Postby Freddels » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:33 pm

I went to Bassstringsonline.com

They have short scale listed (not sure if it's 30 or 32).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:46 am

I have a set of rotos on mine. It rocks. When I tried at NAMMit had flats, so I asked the guy at the north which set. It's the 77s short scale set. Fits perfect.

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby FatherGino » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:27 am

Played the shorty for the first time with a band. This bass is #$%^& cool! Very NRBQ like which makes sense of course as Joey played a Jerry Jones. It lacks the clarity and sustain of my 44-02 but it has a fantastic old-school vibe. Not that the sustain is poor, just that it's almost organ pedal like on the 44-02. I don't think I could possibly EQ the 44-02 to be so fat and still have even volume all the way up and down the neck.

Every note on the neck is fat and full and huge but always defined enough to cut through. I actually played a note or two at the 20th fret on the gig. I've never done that in 35 years. It gets along really well with a little distortion from my Streamliner. I don't think I've ever had such a positive first impression playing a bass in a band setting. It's maybe a little neck heavy but at 7.6 pounds, who cares?

Granted the gig was a straight ahead blues quartet with guitar, bass, harp & drums which suited this bass to a T. I'll try it with the rock band New Year's Eve.

I have some Labella flats on order but I really didn't mind the rounds that it came with. So far the short scale has not been a big issue at all, I might actually prefer it.

So yeah, I like it.
FatherGino

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:01 am

FatherGino wrote:Played the shorty for the first time with a band. This bass is #$%^& cool! Very NRBQ like which makes sense of course as Joey played a Jerry Jones. It lacks the clarity and sustain of my 44-02 but it has a fantastic old-school vibe. Not that the sustain is poor, just that it's almost organ pedal like on the 44-02. I don't think I could possibly EQ the 44-02 to be so fat and still have even volume all the way up and down the neck.

Every note on the neck is fat and full and huge but always defined enough to cut through. I actually played a note or two at the 20th fret on the gig. I've never done that in 35 years. It gets along really well with a little distortion from my Streamliner. I don't think I've ever had such a positive first impression playing a bass in a band setting. It's maybe a little neck heavy but at 7.6 pounds, who cares?

Granted the gig was a straight ahead blues quartet with guitar, bass, harp & drums which suited this bass to a T. I'll try it with the rock band New Year's Eve.

I have some Labella flats on order but I really didn't mind the rounds that it came with. So far the short scale has not been a big issue at all, I might actually prefer it.

So yeah, I like it.

Oh, man....Thanks! Like I need a reason to have GAS!! [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif]
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby FatherGino » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Still digging the crap outta this little thing!! Played it out for the fourth time last night. First time with GHS flats sent to me for free by Lakland (thanks Brian!!). I bought 2 sets of short scale LaBellas with a G string that was too short. I guess they figure a short scale bass is a Hofner.

Anyway, the flats sound great. I wouldn't really say they transformed the bass or anything but the thump and the punch are just that much more in your face. Oddly, my bass was new from Bass Central with no serial number for some reason and came with roundwounds that seemed to be a long scale set with the ends cut off; no silk, no taper, no nuttin. They really didn't sound bad though.

I guess it's the widely spaced pick-ups that make adjusting the individual volume pots very effective at tonal control. Maybe even better than a three band active set up in a way. I've always found that more than a slight adjustment, especially of the bass pot on an active bass yields very uneven volume up and down the neck.

And with all that thump available, I can still get this little guy to sound nice and mellow with decent sustain plucking over the fingerboard. It's really got quite a wide tonal palette available. I might even go as far to say that it's a larger palette than my 44-02. The 44-02 is a great bass and it sounds wonderful but for me I find all its fancy coil tapping subtle at best and even it's PU blend doesn't add as much flavor as these two passive volume pots.
Course, Gino don't slap & pop & what not and this shorty probably wouldn't play that game so well either.

My only gripe is that I'm noticing that the lowest five notes or so don't seem to have the same presence as the whole rest of the neck. I love the fullness/fatness of the 2nd & 3rd octave E but the low open E lacks the corresponding oomph. Maybe that's the trade-off on a 30" scale?

So yeah, I like it.

Meanwhile I not even sure if these are still in production. They seem to have disappeared from Lakland's website.
FatherGino

Postby FatherGino » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 pm

My affair with this sassy lil bitch is still going strong though it's evolving. Went through a whole bunch o' crap getting flats to fit it only to find that I don't like them as much as the mongrel steel{?} rounds that it came with. Maybe it's my rig (Streamliner & two Aggie GS 112s) that make the flatwounds too muddy. The flats sound good at home but in the real world I can't get a workable sound out of them. The rounds don't have the punch but their mids come through to give a very controllable definition and snarl and there is still some punch left. It won't produce the profound lows of any 34" scale bass but I've come to learn that "bass" response is a relative term. Spent last night in a biggish room much like a gymnasium where heavy low end is not a good idea anyway. With the rounds, I found myself playing with the neck PU rolled almost off but it was sounding real sweet. This little bass has some personality, some hutzpa. For such a cute little thing it can get pretty gnarly.

I'm continuously re-learning the lesson that plucking relatively lightly and turning the amp up yields the sound I'm looking for but it's always so easy to get carried away and digging in when the geetar & drums get louder.

A pick might sound good with the flats but I haven't used one of them things in a long, long time.
FatherGino

Postby ghiadub » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:24 am

I am still digging mine with the roto 77s (flats) . This model is still on the Lakland front page btw.

It sounds great thru a GK rig, the snappy highs jump out and cut thru the mix (just like my Danelectro) I have played mine thru a few backline rigs and too much booty buries the true sound which is pretty "brassy". But I like to hear my fingernail when I release the string. YMMV

ghiadub
Bouncer

Return to LAKLAND