Pee Bass

Pee Bass

Postby FatherGino » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm

I've been thumping away for 35+ years and I've never had a P.

What am I missing?

How much different would say a Duck Dunn P be than my 44-02 using just the Neck PU. Would my f**ked up ears even know the difference?

Would some super duper PU really make a difference?
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Re: Pee Bass

Postby MickeyOne » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 pm

I use P basses and their close relatives because they do one thing better.

They stake out that low mid sonic territory, just above the kick drum which seems to fit a lot of band situations.

It's a bread and butter thing which may be passe for you.
MickeyOne

Postby FatherGino » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:40 pm

I think I may be a poster child for passe.
FatherGino

Postby nolabass » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Ya, I would agree. if you've never had one..... your ear didn't want one. Might be a waste of time. I use them because they are the foundation of roots music. Folks expect to see a P or J in blues, country, Americana and the like. I hear that low-mid punch in my head, so i play Ps.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby FatherGino » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:32 pm

What' this bass?

http://www.youtube.com/v/neZ6kMjDiG0

Nothing remarkable really but I dig the sound. Mellow & thick even in the higher notes and the lowest notes give the perception of very deep low notes. Flats on a P?
FatherGino

Postby nolabass » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm

Ah Yes....that would be George Porter Jr. on that bass track. He may have been playing his single coil P but definitely flats. That low-mid bump works for flats like that.
Excellent taste my friend. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:06 am

FatherGino wrote:Mellow & thick even in the higher notes and the lowest notes give the perception of very deep low notes.

IMO this is what a P bass does.

FWIW I never had a "true" Fender Precision either. Though I'm of the opinion that pickup placement (and strings type) has more to do with tone than about anything else. And I've had, and have, basses that have pickups in the "P spot".

Did I just say "P spot"???
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby MickeyOne » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 am

[quote="Mr. Mom"][quote="FatherGino"]Mellow & thick even in the higher notes and the lowest notes give the perception of very deep low notes.[/quote]

IMO this is what a P bass does.

FWIW I never had a "true" Fender Precision either. Though I'm of the opinion that pickup placement (and strings type) has more to do with tone than about anything else. And I've had, and have, basses that have pickups in the "P spot".

I agree on both counts. Wood type is highly overrated.

I dig FAT sounds. B-3 organ over piano, tenor sax over soprano and Precision bass over Jazz.
I admire the modern Jaco-esque sound, but it ain't me.
MickeyOne

Postby FatherGino » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:28 pm

nolabass wrote:Ah Yes....that would be George Porter Jr. on that bass track.

See, that's what I miss about records with sleeves and liner notes. I didn't know that was George. He gets around I guess.
FatherGino

Postby noahvale » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Depending on setup and recording, p's can sound very different. There is the classic thump of flatwounds by Jamerson. And there is the throaty grind of the a p with rounds. A lot of classic rock had that sound, and a lot of blues.

Check out this recording: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_ ... ular%2C185

Especially on the cuts Mellow Down and Good News. That's Mike Morrison, probably on a Peavey P bass clone. That round wound sound is great. Mike Morrison is a monster player.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby FatherGino » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Back on topic though…

I grok flats. Big fan here. Played a fretless Sabre with Ti's for years. Loved the sound, got used to the neck (very similar to the 4402). Wanted to try a fretted bass again. Went to Bass Central to lay hands on something. Thought I'd probably get a HH Sterling cause I adored the neck of the fretless single H I recently sold. Noodled on many basses including a Duck Dunn P. Bought the 4402 cause overall it seemed to be the sh*t. Went through a year or more of getting used to frets and trying different strings. Tried Ti's and Chromes with no love. Settled down with Black coated stainless rounds which sound good to me after the coating falls of and they die a little (a lot). I've tried playing the 4402 with just the neck PU but I find it only subtly different playing live than my usual both PUs on full, EQ flat, Streamliner with the bass @ 8 or 9 and a slight mid boost.

So… Might a real P like bass sound remarkably different than my 4402 with the neck PU only?

Thought I was in love with the Lakland hollow shorty but the love has faded some. Wondering why I should torture myself with going back and forth between 30" and 34". Maybe I should trade it for P? [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif]
FatherGino

Postby MANZ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:54 am

I say stick with what you got. What you already have is already doing (what I'm sure is) a great job. Broadening your "arsenal/pallette" can only be a positive thing, but don't confuse that with your LAKLAND. I had 20+ year experience with my "wife"-bass (an EMG'd Mexi-Fender Jazz, perhaps pathetic, but there ya go...) and was similarly bored/disatisfied leading to what became about a year "affair" with a really nice Tobias w/ really good Bartolini's. After that year "affair" with the Tobias I really had a renewed appreciation & absolute certainty about my choice of my Mexi-Fender over anything else. Nothing against Tobias basses & Bartolini pickups which were both incredible, but if you've been satisfied enough with any type of bass to invest 35+ years in it, stick with what you have. Anyway, to cut it short, and make most of my preceding post irrelevant and also to state the stupid/obvious (= what you already know) finding more perspective is the "key" to a good decision, probably ultimately involving some kind of long-term experience p-bass equivalent. Good luck with your quest, and maybe even enjoy the "hunt" [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

(p.s.- I have a "Franken" p-bass to fill that slot if absolutely needed or mood dictates [smilie=fun_84.gif])
MANZ

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:27 am

FatherGino wrote:So… Might a real P like bass sound remarkably different than my 4402 with the neck PU only?

[smilie=fun_84.gif]

Hmmmm....Trying to recall how my (long gone) 4-94 sounded with the neck pickup soloed. IIRC (big "if"), and IMO due to the position of the neck pickup, my answer is "Yes". The Barts had that typical Bart-ness to them. But overall I think it sounded pretty close. Again, IMO, YMV, etc etc.

Do have money to spare? I've played some really nice Mexi Fender Precisions in the used section of local music stores. Wouldn't pay over $400 for one. Prolly closer to $325-$350. Might be worth the money to scratch that itch? Only you can decide.

God, I love spending other folks' money!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby noahvale » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:59 am

For what it's worth my first bass was a '73 Fender P. It weighed about 12 lbs. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] I put a Bartolini pickup in it and played it for several years. When I got ready to sell it, I put the original pickup back in it. It sounded exactly the same as the Bart. The Bart went in a parts PJ that I built. I played it for many years before I switched to 5'ers. I've been missing that PJ sound. I have one on the way. See below.
Attachments
1.jpg
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby ghiadub » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 pm

noahvale wrote: I have one on the way. See below.

That looks well loved. Who made it?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Next

Return to LAKLAND