Q Tron+ ?

Q Tron+ ?

Postby jfh4242 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 am

Hi guys, I have one of these on loan from a guitar player. He seems to want to get rid of it, so I could get it pretty cheap. I tried to search the forum for some information but did not find much on the new version. Anyone tried it? I don't know much about enveloppe filters so I am wondering how this one ranks compared to others.

Thanks! John
jfh4242

Re: Q Tron+ ?

Postby steveonbass » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:19 am

A Q-Tron + is a good filter and can be had for short $$$ - If you're looking to get into a filter.....
The only thing I would caution is that EH effects, in general, can be a little noisy in your live signal chain (part of their *ahem* charm).
You've apparently tried it so you must have had fun with it or you wouldn't be asking. I say buy it and bring the greasy funk!

If it's a micro-series effect - RUN, DON'T LOOK BACK - and buy a normal one. It will last longer.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby jfh4242 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I have played with it and it does sound cool. What I like is that you can still hear the bass note while having the effect. Some of the other pedals I have tried made my bass sound like a guitar. That is not what I have in mind.

It is not a micro, it is the new black ones. Yeah, I read some reviews that the micro were not so good...

I am going to take it to a rehearsal on Monday. I am curious to see if it cuts through ok.

If anyone has one of these, what are your favorite settings? There is so many options!

John
jfh4242

Postby steveonbass » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:50 am

If anyone has one of these, what are your favorite settings? There is so many options!

John

With most all filters, I've found that what I like to hear when I practice alone is not always useful in a mix. Sounds, like colors (or just about anything), are only good or bad in relation to what's around them. Every band has a different mix of stuff so, my advice would be to have fun and come up with some settings at home that you like - then take it to practice and tweak it in relation to the freq's in your band (no pun intended).

Then stick a fuzz and an octaver in front. =)
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby jfh4242 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:38 am

I found a couple of really cool demos on youtube about this pedal. They really show what this sucker can do.

John
jfh4242

Postby felig » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:49 am

The Q-Tron & Q-Tron+ are pretty much my favorite filter effect pedals. Since I'm an impulsive/compulsive accumulator, I have run through a number of different filter effects & still have a bunch. I had a Q-Tron, sold it, and then realized how much I liked it, so I picked up a Q-Tron+, which is still the one that I always come back to.
felig

Postby jfh4242 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:54 am

I like it but I do not like the volume spikes in it. When you hang on to a note in different settings, the volume can go way up. That can really mess up the overall sound in the mix. I wish there was a way to do away with that, but I have not found it.

John
jfh4242

Postby jfh2424 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:57 am

I found the sound I wanted without the volume spikes. I really dig this pedal.

John
jfh2424

Postby jfh2424 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:22 am

Still got this thing and I am using it quite a bit. Besides using it on as a filter, I also use it when I solo during rock tunes. I use as a weird effect during our cover of Uninvited (Alanis Morrissette) too.

You can get some good mileage out of this thing. I really dig it.

John
jfh2424

Postby steveonbass » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 am

John,

Sweet! always great to find a good, usable effect. Often, people (including me) don't have the patience to learn how to control them. I have an ongoing relationship with my pedals and sometimes it takes a long time for me to figure out how to use them in a dynamic way. Sometimes (often with analog filters and octavers), in order to get the dynamic you want, you have to play the pedal more than the instrument.

Sounds like you figured this out.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby jfh2424 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:15 am

You know what I found helped me? I only own two pedals. It kinda forces me to deal with them. Being in a trio also kinda forces me to make the bass sound different at different times.

Take care!

John
jfh2424

Postby 57RIP » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:47 am

rodger that, the trio gives you space for the effects to stand out.

I like the mini Qtron, as opposed to the nano-qtron. Seems like the mini in lpo mode has a slower release than most of the filters I've tried. The other one from EH is the venerabe BassBalls - if you set it to not release it can take your Chris Squire and make it Jack Bruce...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby jfh2424 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Do you guys find that it takes a few seconds for this effect to kick in? I use it a lot and it seems that it takes about 5 seconds where it makes weird noises until it kicks in. I wonder if this is just my unit or if it is common?

John
jfh2424

Return to EFFECTS