Flanger recommendations?

Flanger recommendations?

Postby aussiemark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm possibly going to be doing some gigs with a Pink Floyd tribute band - not a full show type thing with inflatable pigs and laser lights, more of a stripped down pub band - so will be needing to add a flanger to the pedal board.

I've searched the forum and found some threads from 2006, so am wondering what the consensus is on a good, low noise flanger? Preferably 9v centre neg so my existing power supply can drive it.
aussiemark

Re: Flanger recommendations?

Postby GLJeff » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Boss BF3, I also like the Ibanez Tone-Lok pedals.
GLJeff

Postby steveonbass » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:10 pm

This is the most Pink Floyd effect I've ever heard/owned. It's awesome, the phase ramps up in three separate, um, phases and the shift is gradual - it can ramp down the same way - also very Led Zeppelin "no quarter". I've always found flange to be too harsh on bass.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby aussiemark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks guys - Steve, what is that thing?

Any love for the Maxon FL9? It gets some good press at other forums.

There's also some conjecture as to whether the BF-3 is harsher than the BF-2 - anybody got any experience with both of those?
aussiemark

Postby steveonbass » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:28 am

Its a maestro phase shifter - i really think PF used one of these.

Maxon 9 series flangers sound good. I used to own a Fulltone Choralflange and it sounded GREAT but a little pricey and takes more real estate than the Maxon.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby GLJeff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Maestro makes some interesting stuff, my guitarist has one of these. It looks like a sewing machine pedal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maestro-MP-1-Phaser ... dZViewItem
GLJeff

Postby harleyyy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 pm

The flange on these are pretty sweet..

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Templar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:17 pm

There's also some conjecture as to whether the BF-3 is harsher than the BF-2 - anybody got any experience with both of those?

Yes, I have both. The BF-3 can be a tad more harsh, but any of that will get lost live. The BF-3 can be more intense, nice to have a bit more presence on tap. The 3 also has more features. Way more. You can't go terribly wrong with either Boss, IMHO.

OTOH, it's hard to beat the sound of the old 70's ones. This one is to fuckin die for...

Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Templar wrote:OTOH, it's hard to beat the sound of the old 70's ones. This one is to fuckin die for...

These Ross ones sound sweet huh? One just poped up on my local CL...damn, wish I had the cash. What is a good price for them?

OTOH I like the BF-2, I have an early Jap one. I also have a EH Stereo Electric Mistress with flange and chourus, it's pretty cool, and the Line 6 MM4, it has like 16 diff modulation effects, the flanger and phasers are my favorite on it.
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Postby felig » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:42 pm

Mark, if you can find one, Boss made a series of bass pedals in the eighties & within that series is the Bass Flanger BF-2B. I've got one that is a green label Made in Japan & it is 9v center negative. I've got several other pedals in that same brown box, gold letter, gold control plate bass pedal series that were made in Taiwan. My 2009 Vintage Guitar Price Guide shows the BF-2B as being made from 1987-1994 & shows a price range of $40 to $50.

Every pedal that I've found in this series has been pretty cheap on the used market--I don't know if I ever paid over $40 for any of them.
felig

Postby Templar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:02 pm

These Ross ones sound sweet huh? One just poped up on my local CL...damn, wish I had the cash. What is a good price for them?

One just went for $70 on ebay. The DOD goes for a bunch more, maybe 'cos it has status lights, the Ross has none.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby biggfigg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 pm

I have an MXR Phase 90 pedal I dig. Absolutely no loss of low end. Cheapish, reliable, thick sounding and all over the place available. And small with a single knob! Probably not the most versatile Flanger out there, but simple ti use and it works for me.
biggfigg

Return to EFFECTS