Envelope Follower?

Envelope Follower?

Postby hmagman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:51 am

I'm thinking of buying a envelope follower, it's been awhile since I've checked these out. Can anyone recommend a unit?

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Re: Envelope Follower?

Postby felig » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:28 pm

The thread right below this one is about my favorite one--the Q-tron. I've got a bunch of different ones, including an original E-H Bassballs, a Moogerfooger, several different Boss models, an EBS, a Line 6 FM4, etc, etc. The ones that I don't currently own, I probably did own (eg Mutron, Doctor Q). My big box Q-Tron + is still my favorite. IMHO this effect is probably the most subject to personal taste of any. I would recommend trying as many as you can before buying--or you could end up like me, pedal-broke.
felig

Postby bigfatbass » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 pm

And not just taste, but attack. Few pedals are as sensitive to attack/tone/signal strength as the envelope family. You really have to try a bunch of them to find the one that makes the chewyness you want, but doesn't explode your gear in the process. A loose (please note proper usage) envelope setting can create peaks and valleys in signal curve that will eat ANY rig/speaker.

Damn fun when you get one dialed in though, and +1 on the big box Q-Tron being one of the most forgiving and versatile of the ones that can easily be found.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby 57RIP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm liking an EHX Mini QTron. I've been through a bunch and the absolute best sounds came form the Moog MF-101 - it was also the most painful to set and was so touchy as to be almost worthless live... like a boat owners best days... coming and going was that pedal. What I really like at the moment is the combo of an old (Grey Label) EBS OctaBass and the mini QT.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby felig » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 am

the absolute best sounds came form the Moog MF-101 - it was also the most painful to set and was so touchy as to be almost worthless live...

Definitely. A while ago, I dusted mine off, and--having misplaced my manual--I spent a frustrating afternoon trying to get any sort of usable sound. There are so many parameters & they are so interactive, I felt like one of those infinite # of chimpanzees sitting at an infinite # of typewriters trying to reproduce the complete works of Wm. Shakespeare. However, a few days later, with manual in hand, it seemed like I couldn't find a bad sound.
felig

Postby steveonbass » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:56 am

The Moog is an awesome filter IMO - It really shines with an expression pedal. My issue with the Moog was that it just took up too much real estate and needed a specific wall wart.

There are a lot of good ones - they are mostly voltage controlled so make sure to keep buffered pedals behind them in your chain so finger dynamics come through. A TU-2 or any buffered pedal can nullify a good filter sound.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks guys!

Looks like the Q-Tron is first on my list to check out...

I think this should be a envelope follower for dummies starting point for me.
Harry
hmagman

Postby Jerry » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:23 am

I've been using the EBS BassicIQ for awhile now just because of the ease of use. I dug the Q-tron but just a little movement of the knobs changed the tones, I usually don't have much time to set up at gigs and the EBS is just easier for me. I also have a Pigtronix that I dig but it's a little big for my pedal board. I'm old & cranky and all about quick set up and and breakdown these days. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] I've always dug filters and still have my old Doctor-Q from the 70's and my old Ibanez AF201 that just kills.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 am

I use the micro q-tron, bassballs, the boss syb-5.

The Micro Q tron does not sound as good as the big brother Q-tron +, but it is a lot more predictable (IMO). I had a Q tron plus for a while and even with the same settings, it was unpredictable gig to gig.

Bassballs are a very usable distortion/filter. I use this the most

The boss is a synth but it has some cool envelope effects and the option to hold down the pedal to hold the synth note. Cool for spacey stuff and the occasional bass solo. Plus you can change the freq and resonance while you are holding the note to get some cool sounds. Still, this is the least usable pedal, and as a filter, it is very unpredictable.

Hope that helps.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby 57RIP » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:40 pm

IME the Mini seems to be the most stable of the QT line. Another thing you can do is to put a real mild comp in line prior to the filter. Something like the Aphex Punch factory. That really helped the Moog settle down, same with the bassballs.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby RMS » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:38 pm

I like the Maxon AF-9 best of the 4-5 filters I've owned.
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Postby jfh2424 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:50 am

This will really show you what the Q Tron plus can do. Be sure to check out part two also.

www.youtube.com/v/2_XMDheZ37A&feature=related

I've had mine for a while and I dig it.

John
jfh2424

Return to EFFECTS