MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe

Re: MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe

Postby Gil Escalera » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Pulling this old thread up from the dust because I've been checking out this pedal and thought I'd share some of my findings with you all.

This pedal tracks better than any other octave pedal I've ever tried, and I've pretty much tried them all. How good is it? Well, I am now in the process of getting one. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Anyway, my research led me to these 3 fine video reviews by some well respected names that I found both informative and useful.

The first video is the official MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe video put out by Jim Dunlop (the parent company for MXR) and features the venerable Bobby Vega on bass.

The second video was created by Bass Guitar Magazine and features none other then Ed Friedland, The Bass Whisperer.

The third video is by Uriah Duffy and gives a nice hands on demonstration.

Bobby Vega
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Ed Friedland

Uriah Duffy

Enjoy! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Almost every time I see Uriah Duffy demonstrate a pedal, I end up getting it. That guy is on of my favorites of the younger guys, he kills across the board from funk to rock.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby harleyyy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Jerry wrote:Almost every time I see Uriah Duffy demonstrate a pedal, I end up getting it. That guy is on of my favorites of the younger guys, he kills across the board from funk to rock.

We met him a couple years back VERY cool cat. He was in a trio that opened up for the Iron Maidens. Smokin' player and even filled Sarzo's shoes with Whitesnake. He's busy around the Bay Area scene with many projects.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Bought one of these recently and it's going right back.

First let me say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tone of this pedal.

However, I'm not crazy about the tracking. It's OK for fast passages, but as a note decays, it really drops off quickly IME.

Also, if you have a dead spot on your neck, you'll find it with this pedal. In fact, it's an excellent dead spot finder. If you have a really awesome bass with no dead spots to worry about this is probably a really good pedal, but I strongly recommend a test drive with your own rig to be sure. Buy through Amazon and all you're risking is the cost of return shipping (~$6).

Also, if you have less than 100% perfect, stellar, completely crystalline muting technique, this pedal will not track so well. I recently had a setup done on both basses, including fret level and crown, and the action is so low now, that my formerly perfect muting technique, needs a bit of fine tuning and this pedal made sure to let me know about that.

Finally, running this pedal downstream of effects that increase harmonic content (e.g. distortion) - it tracks less well. Needs to be first pedal in your chain to work well.

I also missed the octave up feature of the EHX Micro POG which I like to use with a chorus, phaser, and delay to create a sort of keyboard-ey sound. Very cool with bass double stops (which the MXR cannot do).

Summary:

Tone = great
Tracking = meh

vs.

POG Tone = meh
POG Tracking = awesome

POG WINS!!
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby DaveyG67 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Hmmm... interesting stuff CBT... I haven't experienced the tracking issues w/mine. I don't set up my basses w/really low action, so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues with quick drop offs on note decay... [smilie=coz.gif]
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby harleyyy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:24 am

DaveyG67 wrote:Hmmm... interesting stuff CBT... I haven't experienced the tracking issues w/mine. I don't set up my basses w/really low action, so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues with quick drop offs on note decay... [smilie=coz.gif]

Too many variations involved to nail down what works and what doesn't. So many pedals get the "nay's" and "yay's", but it IS SO DEPENDENT ON active/passive,signal chain,attack, strings, blah blah. JM2C. I was interested in this pedal but need to try my EBS Bass IQ again., since it was a "highly regarded" funk sound. They most likely vary on the variables I mentioned above. Drunk and happy, cuz i's my B-day...anyone???
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby 57RIP » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 am

I found that mild compression, ahead of the Octaver can really help with the tracking. Still haven't scored the MXR but I've done that with a few other octavers with good affect.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby 57RIP » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Been using the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe with a 3 leaf Groove Regulator 1. Very synthy... mXR tracking down low is not great but then nothing I own can reproduce a G below g... I like it a bunch. The tone is very, very good IMO. FWIW- I'm keeping the growl and girth fairly low and favoring the Dry signal. I want the fundamental at least as strong as the effect.

Also playing with a Guyatone mini Bass Octaver combined with a mini QTron. i'm going to setup each of those as a 'patch' of a loop. Feeding it from a Fulltone Choral Flange. The goal is 2 different synthy patches at my toe tips for a power trio project I'm embarking on.

It's been fun working up the old pedal board again...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 am

Funny how these things go. After gear whoring my way through an assortment of pedals, I have this one back on my board now. LOL.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby 4mal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Dumped the mxr octaver, 3Leaf GR and a Bunch of other pedals in favor of a zoom b3. That sits in the effects loop of a Radial Bassbone. The B3 does a great job on compression, distortion, flange, verb, chorus, echo and synths. Generally multiple selections of each. Most seem pretty useful. You get 3 'pedals' at a time and the ability to setup many 3 pedal blocks or patches. Most of mine involve a synth or a filter or both as I like the quack and octave combo. I also sig the LA60 comp, ada jet flange and big muff effects. I have 4 patches setup. Switching between them I do song by song... For live use ... It works really well for me...
4mal

Previous

Return to EFFECTS