Beginner Advice Please

Beginner Advice Please

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:09 pm

New to effects, finally have an open mind to making more than one specific sound. I've been reading through these different threads, and my heads a swimming with ideas. Thought I'd seek out a little more focused help.

Play in a trio. Blues based music. Plenty of room to be a little more busy in my playing. Plenty of room for something...else...

Band has been going about a year and a half with all three members, and we find ourselves moving away from the traditional blues take and into a more edgy, current, harder take on the blues, covering more contemporary ground or trying to make something old sound new. Example, newest song I am bringing in to the band is "Ball and Biscuit" by the White Stripes.

In the trio, heading in this direction, I find myself interested in making more sounds as a way to fill space, rather than just busier playing, with the ability to do other things to add that edge to the sound that we all seem to be craving.

The T21 VT Bass seemed like a no brainer, so I bought one the other day.

What are three other "must have" pedals that should be on my GAS list, and why?

Bonues question: what's the best powered pedalboard setup? The guitard has this sweet heavy duty thing for all his toys, but its a monster. I'm talking smaller size, slip it in a bag at the end of the night.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Re: Beginner Advice Please

Postby Jerry » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm

For me the three constants in my pedal board are, octave box, a filter of some kind and a chorus pedal. Even on blues gigs the chorus is cool for songs like Lenny or to do the Roscoe Beck "leslie" thing. I play a lot of trio gigs too, and it's nice to have some toys-to-make-noise in the toolbox.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby 57RIP » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 am

+1 except replace the Chorus with a Flanger. Default choice would be the ChoralFlange for me but... there is one out there that has th hI pass filter on the flange. So it leaves the low's intact and flanges only the high's. Might be a Boss ? I'm not certain. That could be cool as heck with a pick... The ability to blend wet and dry is a biggie for me... I have a smallish Gator powered board & case that isn't horrible.

I'm probably going back to home brew though. Piece of .75" ply and some black stray will go a long way. I'm seeing 2 small boards that will sandwich around the tripod bass of my mic stand. I will often take just the paraDriver and a tuner as I'm doing a lot of country'ish stuff at the moment. So that would be 1 board. Modulation would live on the other. Jumping power over to the other board is a question. I'd like to do something where I have a cable with a little beef and a locking connector at each end...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 am

My 3 staples (excluding the StoboStomp Tuner which is a must) are:

• Sans Amp Bass Driver DI
  • Octaver
  • Chorus
I have other pedals too, but these are the ones that see the most use.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:34 pm

I've fond that I almost never have to tune up after my initial tuning on a gig, and a tuner was just a waste of space on my board. I should also add that I use a Loooper on my board to quickly and quietly bring effects in and out.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby 57RIP » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:48 pm

I've been paying outside a lot and with variable temps here, tuning is something I have to check during the evening. Were I somewhere more consistent it probably wouldn't be an issue... My rig has been hosting an open mic for a little bit and the tuner also works as mute so a useful item during the changover.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby ghiadub » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:02 pm

I have a very simple setup:
EH bassballs has the filter and fuzz. - Good for when you want to jump out (solos, intros, etc)
Digitec delay sampler - I use this for the reverse delay effect - pretty much just to add some texture to a loop
AKAI Headrush - I use this to make texture loops - occasionally to loop a bassline

I have been looking to get an octave effect that does not suck -

I use a POS maxxon powered pedalboard I got off CL for 60 bucks (with two pedals!)
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:15 pm

I dig Fuzz and overdrive more than anything or small preamps that give me different gain structures at the same volume.
I like one swirl effect - my choice is phase (over chorus or flange)
Filter is nice for some syrupy funk (not much else)
fuzz->octave->filter makes a great synth
I like octave by itself but it's only really noticeable in higher registers - not my bag - so it has come off the board.

My current bass pedal board has fuzz, fuzz and fuzz - no shit.

My arsenal is (but i rarely use any of it except on baritone guitar):

Bass BB (pre - gainy OD)
Black cat Fuzz
Univox Superfuzz
Boss Hyper-Fuzz
TC Phaser (I actually like the EXH Small Clone a lot -not the micro)
Maxon AF-9 filter
EBS Octabass

I need a tuner on my board (Korg Pitch Black is True BP) and I use a Dunlop Juice box for power
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Gil Escalera wrote:My 3 staples (excluding the StoboStomp Tuner which is a must) are:

• Sans Amp Bass Driver DI
  • Octaver
  • Chorus
I have other pedals too, but these are the ones that see the most use.

- Gil

I'm also new to effects and have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. What sounds/settings do you find most useful Gil?
MickeyOne

Return to EFFECTS