order of effects suggestions if you got a minute...

order of effects suggestions if you got a minute...

Postby Uberjam » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:28 am

I haven't tried enough different combinations yet really. But I was wondering if there were any legitimate understood bass effects order "rules" that everybody else knows that I don't.

I know compression should always be first and that overdrive should always be near the beginning, tuning pedal last, that kind of thing.

But what about synths and flange and chorus and the other stuff I have listed under effects?
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor

Extra toys:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Boss overdrive
Digi-tech sub octave synth
Boss loop station
Boss super octave
Boss bass chorus
Boss bass synth
Boss flanger

Recording gear:
Macbook
Ableton live 8
Korg Pandora's box PX5D
Boss DR3 Drum Machine

Re: order of effects suggestions if you got a minute...

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:15 pm

The only 2 rules I run by are:

1.) Volume pedal first.
Why? - I use delay so being able to catch volume swells via my DL4 is really cool and can add wonderful underlying texture to the soundcape. I also run my tuner out of a separate output on this pedal FYI.

2.) Delay last.
Why? - I run delay last as to catch any FX that may be on in between.

There are a zillion reasons why musicians align the pedalboards the way they do. Some for tonal reasons, some as simple as convenience. You just play around with what ya got until you decide which works best for you. There really IMO are no set rules - only personal preferences.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby ghiadub » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:24 pm

+1 to what Rhian said.

I also run another volume pedal last when I am running effects that can have a severe effect on my volume to keep the whole sound under control.

I try to run any envelope effects before anything that might add gain, like a fuzz or distortion. The added gain makes it hard to control the envelope IMO.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:54 pm

ghiadub wrote:+1 to what Rhian said.

I also run another volume pedal last when I am running effects that can have a severe effect on my volume to keep the whole sound under control.

I try to run any envelope effects before anything that might add gain, like a fuzz or distortion. The added gain makes it hard to control the envelope IMO.

I wonder if the "Apollo" can help? [smilie=coz.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby steveonbass » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Another thing to consider is whether your pedals are voltage controlled or not. Putting a VC pedal after a buffered pedal (like a TU2 tuner) will kill it's touch sensitive nature.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:59 pm

steveonbass wrote:Another thing to consider is whether your pedals are voltage controlled or not. Putting a VC pedal after a buffered pedal (like a TU2 tuner) will kill it's touch sensitive nature.

+1, I always put filter effects first in my chain.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Uberjam » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks guys. This is my current order and it's working out nicely. I did some research and found out about the Morley ABY pedal and it basically fixed all my problems.

Bass--> Big Muff--> super oct--> bass chorus --> flange--> Overdrive--> EHX OCT -->tuner pedal
I (dry out) ****************************************************************************************I
Synth --------------------------------------------------------------Morley switch---> amp

Hope this makes sense. I'm using the ABY switch backwards to send two outputs into one amp, that way I've got my normal effect line and a second synth line, sounds like two basses, or at least two amps. Have to have it for covering MUSE.
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor