Pedalboard Ideas - Please Critique

Pedalboard Ideas - Please Critique

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am

I'm looking to add some effects to the arsenal and I'm thin on scratch for a bit so I'm thinking of the following - please provide feedback:

1) Chorus - EHX Small Clone
2) Phase - EHX Small Stone
3) Flange - Maxon FL9 or Boss ??
4) Envelope - DOD FX25
5) Digitech Bass Synth/Wah

I am considering combining 1 and 3 if I can get a good deal on a Fulltone Choral Flange or a TC Electronics Chorus/Flange

Any recommendations for a compressor and OD/Distortion?
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: Pedalboard Ideas - Please Critique

Postby harleyyy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

I just moved things around a bit. After the trials and tribs, this is what I found works for me. I just need to fit the Demeter Compulator on it again...

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby aussiemark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:1) Chorus - EHX Small Clone
2) Phase - EHX Small Stone
3) Flange - Maxon FL9 or Boss ??
4) Envelope - DOD FX25
5) Digitech Bass Synth/Wah

Chorus - the Analogman Chorus is very good
Phaser - +1 on the Small Stone
Flanger - FL9 is good as are the older Boss eg. BF-2
Envelope - Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk or EH Micro Q-Tron

No Octaver? The EH Micro Pog is great - polyphonic tracking, so works with chords and double stops etc

Compressor - I like the Aphex Punch Factory - optical, very transparent, subtle but effective

OD/Distortion - a Sansamp BDDI or VT Bass give plenty of crunch, unless you need full blown over the top metal style distortion/fuzz. For simple dirt/boost the Cave Passive Grunt does the job nicely (see my demo video LOL, I'm a little biased).
aussiemark

Postby Templar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm

The Choralflange is excellent, and beautifully built. Not cheap tho, if you're on "thin scratch". You could get nice seperates for much less than a used Choralflange.

+1 on the incomparable POGS. Because they actually work. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Compressors? You'll get a thousand different answers from a thousand different players. I would just try to avoid the "noisy" ones and go from there.

Effects pedals.....the perfect Rabbit Hole if ever there was one. Good luck!
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby 57RIP » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:I'm looking to add some effects to the arsenal and I'm thin on scratch for a bit so I'm thinking of the following - please provide feedback:

1) Chorus - EHX Small Clone Boss Super Chorus
2) Phase - EHX Small Stone not high on phasers for bass ... most that I've heard suck the lows out. If you gotta have one probably the Phase 90
3) Flange - Maxon FL9 or Boss ?? The Fl-9 is real good. The Choral Flange rocks ...
4) Envelope - DOD FX25 Mini Q-Tron. Not the QT+, nano, micro - the older Mini. has a more stable trigger than most other envelope filters. Real glurpy when you want that . For me it rocked a Moog MF101 out of the hosue ...
5) Digitech Bass Synth/Wah uhg... I'm not really high on these things.

I am considering combining 1 and 3 if I can get a good deal on a Fulltone Choral Flange or a TC Electronics Chorus/Flange

I just snagged a Choral Flange at TB for $120 - so they are out there. Hold out for one of those. Best flange on the planet by a long shot.

Compressor - I like the Aphex. It is subtle and that is part of what I want in a compressor. I did not dig Carl Martin, EBS or Demeter - they all do a great job of emulating the studio comp - but it's too much for me live. I just want to take the edge off ... the DI in the Aphex is very good as well so you get a twofer deal on that ... I would love to have a Demeter again - strictly for use on guitar though. It does the Nashville Squash and Chime thing as well as anything ...

O/D - The Sans Amp paraDriver is what I like best, The semi parametric mid is useful, the Di is OK. I would consider some kind of loop control as well so that when none of this stuff is engaged you can get it out of the line.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Pedals so far:

Analogman chorus w/deep mod
Tech 21 VT bass
Boss Flanger BF2 (may mod this)
EHX Micro POG
MXR Envelope Follower (the brand new one)

Still need to grab a phaser and a compressor, but this is a pretty fair start I think. Also a power supply and a board.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Oh, and I'll say this. Playing through a POG for the first time is an absolutely life changing experience. I didn't think I needed an octaver and it's easily my favorite pedal out of the lot (at least for now). [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Cheap Bass Tard

Return to EFFECTS