Which Volume Pedal? 250 K? 25K?

Which Volume Pedal? 250 K? 25K?

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Ernie Ball says 250K for passive 25K for active. If I want that at the front end of my board and I'd like to use one pedal for either active or passive- then which one?

Anybody?
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: Which Volume Pedal? 250 K? 25K?

Postby hmagman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:27 am

Good question...I'd like to also know the answer. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Re: Which Volume Pedal? 250 K? 25K?

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 am

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:If I want that at the front end of my board and I'd like to use one pedal for either active or passive- then which one?

Simply - which ever one sounds best to you. ;)

Passive electronics use 250k pots, active electronics use lower values (i.e. 25k). Matching these values from guitar to pedal in order to obtain maximum signal coupling [1:1] is what it's all about. The biggest effect you will see/hear with a mis-matched impedance (i.e. 25k:250k; 0.1:1) between guitar & pedal is the swell or taper or travel in the pedal going from 0-100% or 100-0%. It won't be as smooth as a 1:1 matched combination. Is it noticeable? Sometimes, or to some ears; sometimes it's negligible. Some pedals, like the Ernie Ball pedals, have a taper switch that let's you choose between two preset tapers. Another effect that some note is "tone suck" based on the mis-match. Again, only your ears can determine if YOU hear it.

In short, a lot of players use the EB passive pedals with active guitars with no problems. Only your ears will determine if it's not to your liking or not.

Hope this helps. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Return to EFFECTS