Best hand-held tuner?

Best hand-held tuner?

Postby Ben Esparza » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm lightening my load and going from a 4 space rack with the Furman Power Conditioner/Tuner to the GK padded amp bag for my 1001RB. Since I'll be getting rid of the tuner, I'm on a quest for a high quality tuner. I have a Boss TU-12, but I'm sure there's something out there that takes that design to the next or higher level. No looking for a stomp box tuner, or another rack tuner. What do you all recommend?
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Re: Best hand-held tuner?

Postby ghiadub » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:46 pm

I have a few of the clip on type and they almost useless on bass but work great for guitar and mandolin....... [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

If you have an iphone, the $.99 peterson strobe is way cool. It works great if you just put it in front of your cab.
Those TC Electronic Iphone tuners look cool too.

I still use my 20 year old Boss TU-12 chromatic. I have dropped it hundreds of times and it still works perfect.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 pm

The best tuner I have ever had (and still have) is the Peterson strobo-flip.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby basswinn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Look no further, the two best have already been mentioned.
basswinn

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 pm

+1 on the Peterson Stroboflip. I use mine for both guitar and bass.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Gil Escalera » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Peterson Stroboflip

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby spideyjg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:32 am

Haven't seen them in stores but Petersen displayed a Strobo-Clip at NAMM which worked fine on a 4 string bass.

Still waiting for it to hit retail.

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby felig » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 am

I have a couple of Seiko ST series tuners that I use always--an ST767 & I believe an ST777 as well as a Boss TU-15. The Boss I use more on guitars, because of the open tuning modes, but it works great for bass.
felig

Postby 57RIP » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:11 am

Korg Pitchblack on both my guitar and bass pedal board. On-Stage Mute is essential in my book. The stability of the tuner is really good and the strobe mode is nice. Like most of the better tuners out there, it will calibrate so if another bandmate's tuner doesn't agree - at least you can adjust to their's. Daisy chain a couple of pedals off it as well. On my bass board the Korg powers a BBE Sonic Stomp and either Fishman Pro Platinum EQ for acoustic gig's or Sana Amp ParaDriver for the electric gigs. I used to use the Korg DT-01 pedal tuners - they worked well to and are often available used for dirt checp. I migrated to the PB's for the smaller size.

At under $100 it's as good as it get's in a stage tuner IMO.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby randall » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Korg Pitchblack all day long. I can actually see it.
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby mjmeche » Fri May 04, 2012 12:59 pm

I use the snark just clip on headstock works great on 5 string too. Just turn down volume knob when you want to tune up.
mjmeche

Postby ReneGiust » Sat May 05, 2012 9:42 am

Yes, Korg Pitchblack is excellent. Solid performance, easy to see and tune quickly on stage.
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 am

The Korg Pitchblack tuner is indeed an excellent tuner, just not what I think of when I think hand-held tuner.

So Ben... since you started this thread nearly 2 years ago, what did you end up with [if anything]? [smilie=coz.gif]

Inquiring minds want to know.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby gregmon79 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm

I forgot what the model name was but I use a fender clip on. It's chromatic and works absolutely wonderfully. Best $20 I ever spent. Battery life isn't super long, I've had it about a year now and have changed the battery once already but it never fails. And it's extremely convenient. My guitar player is always asking me to use mine. You won't regret it. I never saw the point in wasting all the money and space on a rack tuner and or pedal. I'll never need one now that I have the clip on.
gregmon79

Return to EFFECTS