Picked up a weird Sans Amp pedal.

Picked up a weird Sans Amp pedal.

Postby SmittyG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

I have seen the Sans Amp and it's offshoots around for years. Played with a couple of them from time to time, but never picked one up because I always had another DI I was using. Recently, on the used rack of a local shop, I came across a DI unit that says "SansAmp" and "Tech21" but doesn't look anything like I've ever seen. Since they only wanted $40 for it, I figured "what the hell". It has a 1/4" input and passthru and an XLR out. It has a couple of pushbuttons on the the side to activate the circuit and to lift the ground. There are no foot switches at all and no knobs on top. Inside are four micropots for setting Presence, Drive, Mix, and Output Level. When I looked on the Tech21 site, I could find nothing about it. Have you guys ever heard of such a thing? Been using for my gigs--works like a champ, good on battery life (which is good as there is no connection for power either).
SmittyG

Links: http://naradaweeps.bandcamp.com
http://facebook.com/solobassist

Re: Picked up a weird Sans Amp pedal.

Postby steveonbass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

I have the first Bass DI version (mine was actually the NAMM demo pedal) - it's just like the one you are describing. Pots on the inside - set it - seal it - forget it. Just an old(est) model.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Nice score! That there be the original SansAmp Bass DI by Tech 21.

You can read about it from this post by our friends over at BassChat UK: http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75270

[This is where I snagged the pics from.]

Simplicity at its best IMO. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 am

Very cool. Never seen one before [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby gregmon79 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Wow, that is pretty awesome. I have never seen those older ones either. What a steal indeed. I have a newer version of the BDDI and absolutely love that thing. I just ordered a tech 21 sansamp VT 2 so I can't wait to see what that baby'll do with or w/o the BDDI.
gregmon79

Postby Happy Face » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Damn, I must be a true Geezer. I still have mine as well. But the button that switches from tube emulation to pass thrugh has become unreliable. And it looks like a chore to figure out how to solder it to permanently on.
Happy Face

Return to EFFECTS