Phasers

Phasers

Postby steveonbass » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:28 am

I fell upon a Maestro Phase Shifter for short money last week. I'd never tried one so I plugged her in and, WOW! Easily the best phaser I've ever tried with a bass. The downside is the size. This thing is not small. If anyone finds one of these - SNAP IT UP!! Nothing comes close IMO.

peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:29 am

and, as i just noticed, steeler colors too. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:56 pm

WOW, I love stories like that. I think the best phaser I have used with bass (and wish I still had) was an older Morley Pro Phaser.

I remember the reason I off'd it was because I thought *it* was too big for my board at the time LOL and is subsequently ATE batteries for dinner. I didnt have the adapter at the time to power it off my board and the battery issue really sucked. But man did it sound killer. I would love to try one of those maestro phasers though. Looks really cool!

Great find. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby steveonbass » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:12 pm

I'd be really surprised if this isn't the Pink Floyd phaser as well as the John Paul Jones "No Quarter" phaser.

I would describe it as more creamy sounding than a phase 90

This one has a two prong plug which is a drag but at least ther are no batteries

I've never come across a Morley Pro phaser. If I do, I'll check it out
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby fivestrings » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Good stuff huh?
I will have to look into this.
Your right tho... this hog is FAT. No pedal board for this thing :)
fivestrings

Re: Phasers

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:57 am

I recently picked up a Subdecay Baby Quasar off TB and it's all that. Most tweakable phaser I've used and sounds good no matter how I set it. Really, really digging that pedal.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby harleyyy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:57 pm

I have looked no farther after getting the EBS, there's a lot of different sounds it can do.

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby MoBeach » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 pm

I've had one for a long time, they're a pretty nice vintage phaser. They remind me of a speed pedal for a sewing machine.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 am

Since my Morley went away , I soon replaced it with this phaser which is my current fav and has been since I picked it up at my LMS back in late 06.

EH/Sovtek Small Stone. I love this pedal - I would describe it as watery and open sounding with a surprising warmth to it. Its bigger (in foot print and height) so it lives off the main board but still used & well loved none the less.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby steveonbass » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:Since my Morley went away , I soon replaced it with this phaser which is my current fav and has been since I picked it up at my LMS back in late 06.

EH/Sovtek Small Stone. I love this pedal - I would describe it as watery and open sounding with a surprising warmth to it. Its bigger (in foot print and height) so it lives off the main board but still used & well loved none the less.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

WOW! Never seen a small stone in a housing like that. Only Big Muffs (my fave bass pedal is actually a green muff with a true bypass switch)
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah me too. I used an American bigmuff for years but my green russian bigmuff is meatier, dirtier (lol trying to keep my mind out of the gutter here) and preferred as I sold my MIA bigmuff about a year ago. The real bummer is that I accidentally broke one of those goofy plastic 1/4" jack input on it, so until I get a new one, my russian muff is out of order. The true bypass mod sounds great as mine is also kinda noisy. Did you DIY or have someone mod yours?
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:00 am

Rhian Batson wrote:Yeah me too. I used an American bigmuff for years but my green russian bigmuff is meatier, dirtier (lol trying to keep my mind out of the gutter here) and preferred as I sold my MIA bigmuff about a year ago. The real bummer is that I accidentally broke one of those goofy plastic 1/4" jack input on it, so until I get a new one, my russian muff is out of order. The true bypass mod sounds great as mine is also kinda noisy. Did you DIY or have someone mod yours?

I bought it that way Rhian. The previous owner put a TB switch in it and reversed the jacks so they are more intuitive. Oddly enough, the out jack will now drain the battery (if i ever used one). TB is a must with this pedal I think or isolated in a switched loop.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:16 pm

The next chapter in my epic! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] Phaser story. I picked this vintage (early 70's made in Toledo OH) De Armond Phaser model 1900 up for free from my good friend Nate. Anyhow, it was dirty nasty with some loose wiring inside. I took the whole thing apart and gave the housing a bath in my dish sink with Detergent and my dish scrub brush. The guts, got de-dust fuzzed, battery leads reattached and a the "AMP" plug reattached. The switches got a good cleaning and dose of contact cleaner. Surprisingly enough, I put it all together and it worked [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] - well cept the 2nd button (tilted all the way back) is a little iffy sometimes. I have not been able to tell if its my own inability or if the button really needs to be replaced. Anyhow, it sounds great especially on guitar. Where my EH green Russian Small stone is in your face watery and beautiful, this phase is very subtle & seductive. It definitely is there but does not completely encompass your tone. Anyhow, it's a cool idea/design on a phase.

Turn it on (toe) and you change speed by tilting the pedal and the 2nd button (heel) switches to auto. The only bug I have in its design is it is not true bypass and there is no 9v plug - just runs on batteries which is a drag. Cool pedal for about an hours weekend work. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 am

Rhian Batson wrote:The next chapter in my epic! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] Phaser story. I picked this vintage (early 70's made in Toledo OH) De Armond Phaser model 1900 up for free from my good friend Nate. Anyhow, it was dirty nasty with some loose wiring inside. I took the whole thing apart and gave the housing a bath in my dish sink with Detergent and my dish scrub brush. The guts, got de-dust fuzzed, battery leads reattached and a the "AMP" plug reattached. The switches got a good cleaning and dose of contact cleaner. Surprisingly enough, I put it all together and it worked [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] - well cept the 2nd button (tilted all the way back) is a little iffy sometimes. I have not been able to tell if its my own inability or if the button really needs to be replaced. Anyhow, it sounds great especially on guitar. Where my EH green Russian Small stone is in your face watery and beautiful, this phase is very subtle & seductive. It definitely is there but does not completely encompass your tone. Anyhow, it's a cool idea/design on a phase.

Turn it on (toe) and you change speed by tilting the pedal and the 2nd button (heel) switches to auto. The only bug I have in its design is it is not true bypass and there is no 9v plug - just runs on batteries which is a drag. Cool pedal for about an hours weekend work. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Very cool. I have a bunch of pedals that are awesome but not really practical. Recording tools? paperweights? Fun nonetheless!
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:28 am

I dunno Steve. I was thinking about modding the volume pedal into an expression pedal and maybe add a 9v plug and true bypass to the 1900. Either way right now they're fun to look at and that's about it. I mean the 1900 sounds pretty cool but neither are TB and none are replacing any pedal board real estate as they are huge like aircraft carriers.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Next

Return to EFFECTS