The Octave Factor...

The Octave Factor...

Postby Templar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:26 pm

All I know is that finally someone has decided to create an Octaver that actually works properly.

Yes, it's the EH POG.

Yes, it's pricey at $300+ but if you really want the sub-octave effect.....

It makes other noises too, but the sub is sweet sounding and a great "tone thickener" for a power trio thing.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby steveonbass » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:39 pm

I played an EH POG and really had a fun time with it. They do track great. I think where it really shines is the detuned octave up settings. Instant synth. They are a little pricey and have a large footprint but, no doubt, a cool box.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Templar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 pm

prismacolor2 wrote: I think where it really shines is the detuned octave up settings.

Cool, I'll have to mess around with that next. Been so enamored with the sub that I've kinda been ignoring the other sounds.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:08 pm

I've never had good luck with octave ... I had an OC2 & OC3 for a while and they wouldnt track for sheit at the lower registers. 300 is a bit steep for me considering I dont think Id use it enough to justify that price and EH pedlas are notoriously BIG and eat up alotta PB space. I have issue with my ri Bigmuff on my board right now because of that although it is great for feedback sounds [smilie=fun_84.gif]

I'll have to try one out for sure though. I wonder if I can get the local EH dealer to bring one into the shop so I can have a looksie.

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Templar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Ya, I know what you mean. Tried several octavers over the years, including some that got the big rave reviews, but then turned out to.....suck, actually.

Now I hear that EH has a new octave generator coming out, called the HOG, jam packed with additional features. That's all I know about it, but I'm sure the price will reflect the add-ons.

I'm happy with the POG. My 30 year octaver quest is over, now I can die in peace! lol
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby Tony Moore » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Man, I LOVE my POG! I replaced the footswitch with a toggle and keep in mounted on a mic stand, where you can reach the dang thing to change sounds. I really dig looping an organ pad and then noodling over it. Man, I'm gone for hours [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]

I wonder if the HOG will have some the swell (attack delay) that the Microsynth has?

The Microsynth is what really turned me on the E-H. The octave on that is nice too.

Tony
Tony Moore

Postby Unrepresented » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:41 am

I have been suffering from GAS lately and this is at the top of my wishlist.

Now, mind you I am a "straightjack" style bass player but this caught my eye and has practically presold me with the organ style sounds it's supposedly capable of getting with the octave capabilities as icing on the cake.

Unfortunately Electro Harmonix uses some highly unflattering samples on their website. Some of it may be the low quality sample rates, but I'm really interested in hearing someone use this thing to its full potential, especially on bass. Does the organ tone still sound passable in the lower register? The guitar samples sound great, but I'm wondering how well it translates.

Do any of you POG advocates have any sound files you can share for those of us on the fence about dropping $300+ on one of these?

Thanks in advance,

Justin
Unrepresented

Postby EricH » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Oh, I am SO getting an EH POG asap! For years I searched for the "perfect" octaver with an upper octave that actually worked. Search is over! [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
EricH

Re: The Octave Factor...

Postby Templar » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 pm

bassvirtuoso wrote:Anyone here tried an EBS Octabass yet? I'm looking for an Octaver now so that I can cop some Pino lines with my Buzz, but I don't know if I should go true to Pino (OC-2) or go new school for perhaps better tracking on bass (EBS)...

Yes, I tried the EBS one. Mine did'nt track well, sold it quickly.

Not hep to Pino's work, but I still have an old OC-2 around here somewhere. Like the EBS, it only tracks decently down to C, but the tone is sweeter.

I'd like to try the new EH Micro-Pog. It's supposedly just the bottom portion of the POG, and I think it's under $200.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby aussiemark » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:23 am

My Akai Unibass tracks really well, provided I'm playing single notes. The harmonizer function is useful at times as well.
aussiemark

Postby Silverbass » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:23 am

I think the EH Micro-Pog is the best tracking octave box out there. If perfect tracking is the most important thing that's pedal to go for IMO.
If you would rather have a very natural tone it might not be what you what. Analog octave pedals sound more natural but never track as good digital. I keep changing my mind what I like more. I've had two of the EH Micro-Pogs and about 4 other octave pedals.

AMPEG SCP-OCT SUB-BLASTER BASS OCTAVE (very warm and fat reasonable tracking)
Ashdown Bass Sub-Octave Plus Pedal ( crap with some crap on the side)
Foxrox Octron (amazing tone and best tracking of it's type, I would trade my left nut and pinky finger for the Octron2)
Rastop Bass super devider (my current octave box and love the tone, the tracking leaves a little left to be desired by the tone/flexibility more than makes up for it)
Without AB tests we can tell nothing. AB tests tell us nothing.
Silverbass

Postby Silverbass » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:47 pm

bassvirtuoso wrote:Ended up going with one OC-2, with a bid on another one. I'm hoping to get them both and keep the one I prefer.

I've herd those are great "bang for your buck" octave. I've even considered getting one just to have another tonal option.
Let us know how you like them.
Without AB tests we can tell nothing. AB tests tell us nothing.
Silverbass

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:31 am

Another POG lover here, I heard about it, here as a matter of fact, tried it, bought it, love it.

I think it's prolly the best pedal I have ever bought, per amount of use time I have given it.

Well, I love my optocompulator too, so those are my top 2 pedal buys.
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Postby El Tookay » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 pm

I went for the EBS, just sounded better. Nails that Pino sound (yes!), and tracks better than the OC-2. Also, suddenly, I'm not GASsin' for a 5 string. The EBS seems to do more things well.
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Postby 57RIP » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 pm

sold my EBS... seemed.. I dunno, kinda sterile ? Maybe it's too good ? It tracked well but for some reason I couldn't get excited by it. Think I'm going to try a Micro-POG next.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Next

Return to EFFECTS