New Bass Book and Video Reviews

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

New Bass Book and Video Reviews

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Got a bunch of new books and library videos I've worked through over the past few months so I thought I'd share some thoughts. FWIW most of the bass videos are a waste of coin so I'm glad it's the library's money and not mine.

Couple more reviews coming up when I get the books from the library including Wooten's solo book and Dave LaRue's book. Oh yeah, also working through Slap It! by Tony Oppenheim.

Meantime here's what I've been through lately.

100 R&B Grooves - Mel Bay Pocket Guide

Some new ideas here. Pretty basic stuff. If you're just learning to read or develop a good sense of groove this is pretty good. If you've been playing a while, there's still some good stuff in here. Cheap enough to be worth the $$ if you buy it.

Funkifying the Clave -

Yeah, this is a pretty decent book. I wish the examples were better explained as well as the interplay between the bass and drums but it's not bad. Was interesting to read that my playing and natural groove (what I feel in the music) tends towards latin anyway. The songs in the back are pretty challenging but do-able. This book, while not absolutely outstanding, is probably worth the scratch.

30 Day Bass Workout - David Overthrow -

No music, just a bunch of technique workouts. Probably not worth the $$, but I'm glad I checked it out from the library. The left hand exercises were much more useful than the right hand exercises IMO. Worked through it and I do think it improved my fluidity a bit. So check it out at the library, but save your shekels.

Billy Sheehan - Basic Bass

IF you can play at all, don't waste your time on this one, even if it IS Billy. Really aimed at the brand newbie and not all that well done.

Billy Sheehan - Advanced Bass

Book is a waste of time, but the DVD is kinda cool. Not really well organized and more like a bass workshop than a series of lessons, but worth a look. SSome good insights into what makes Billy sound like Billy. So check it at the library, but save your money.

Nathan East: Contemporary Bass

More proof that being a good player does not make you a good teacher. Neither well organized nor useful. Don't even bother watching it unless somebody is paying you to do so.

Beginning Funk Bass - Abe Laboriel -

Abe is a cool dude and I dig his playing, but he's not all that as an instructor. He has an interesting technique which he explains pretty well. So if you want to cop Abe's technique, worth a watch. Otherwise pass..

Mastering the Electric Bass - David Gross -

Nothing here that you can't learn elsewhere. Pass.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: New Bass Book and Video Reviews

Postby nolabass » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:34 am

Ouch.... not a lot of return for your dough. Thanks for that, you saved me a few bucks. I only have the Clave book.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:05 pm

That's why I post these.

Honestly, it's really hard to go wrong with anything written by Ed Friedland. His stuff is consistently better written than anything else out there IMO.

As for DVDs, I still think Norm Stockton's grooving for heaven series is about the best stuff out there.

Just goes to show being a great player does not automatically mean being a great instructor. In fact, I suspect it may be the opposite because playing comes so naturally to some of these guys that they can't quite understand why it's so hard for a regular shmoe like me to sound that good.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Freddels » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:00 am

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:
Honestly, it's really hard to go wrong with anything written by Ed Friedland. His stuff is consistently better written than anything else out there IMO.

As for DVDs, I still think Norm Stockton's grooving for heaven series is about the best stuff out there.

+1 on Ed Friedland's stuff.

On the Stockton DVD's, he doesn't get all religious does he? I'm really trying to work on my groove stuff.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:09 pm

With Norm's stuff he addresses a few things of interest to the worship musician (his target audience) on the first couple disks, but most of the info. there is useful to anybody. But if your asking if he does an altar call within the context of his disks...no.

Of course at the level where you play Fred, I dunno if there's a whole lot to be learned from Norm's stuff.

For groove - check out Friedland's Bass Grooves book. Very, very, very good book and one of the best ones in my library.

I used to have a big ole pile of reviews and I dunno where they went. Maybe I'll search around and post a link or cut and paste over here.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Oh, Fred, here's some older reviews I posted a while back if you're interested.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=221&p=8800#p8800
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Freddels » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:Of course at the level where you play Fred, I dunno if there's a whole lot to be learned from Norm's stuff.

You're too kind. There's so much that I don't know. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:For groove - check out Friedland's Bass Grooves book. Very, very, very good book and one of the best ones in my library.

Got it. I can't recommend Ed's books enough. A great guy, great player, and a great teacher.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 am

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:Just goes to show being a great player does not automatically mean being a great instructor. In fact, I suspect it may be the opposite because playing comes so naturally to some of these guys that they can't quite understand why it's so hard for a regular shmoe like me to sound that good.

Yeah, this is the case all too often.
It would be nice if some of these cats used a co-author/co-host to help 'em out in that department.
The Jaco vid comes to mind...
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 am

After buying some real dog books and videos, we should have a book, video review section all to it self. The Billy Sheehan book, dvd as mentioned is nopt up to standard. The Flea dvd is horrible & so is the John Entwhistle.

I found BassBooks.com to offer lots of books, dvd's and a review section.

Jimi
Last edited by BluesBassPlayer on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Concur.

Hey Gonzo - can you take this up with Harley.

In fact, I think a separate reviews forum would be totally rockin. We could have a section for basses, rigs, effects, books/dvds, and maybe even a section for music.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby harleyyy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:09 pm

Cheap Bass Tard wrote:Concur.

Hey Gonzo - can you take this up with Harley.

In fact, I think a separate reviews forum would be totally rockin. We could have a section for basses, rigs, effects, books/dvds, and maybe even a section for music.

How about a sub forum here, It would sit atop in this one?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby harleyyy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:17 pm

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks Pete.

may take me some time to get some stuff up there, but I think what I'll do is list the book or video in the title, add my review, then others can add theirs if they like.
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Got a few new books for Christmas so stay tuned peeps. Will have reviews in the next couple months.

Teaser:

Friedland's new bass riffs book

Paul Westwood's Bass Bible

Of course, right now, I am working through Standing in the Shadows and trying to overcome my aversion to tie lines and broken 16ths.
Cheap Bass Tard

Return to CHARTS & THEORY