Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Band

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Band

Postby Ben Esparza » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Guys,

I'm getting old. I can't figure out if the bass line on verse portion of KC and the Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes" is E - D - B - B or E - Eb - B - B. Please let me know. I don't have a recording of it and am going on memory. Thanks.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Re: Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Band

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Ben, the second note is D, not Eb. We play Boogie Shoes in the disco set of our Grease/Saturday Night Fever tribute show.
aussiemark

Postby Ben Esparza » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Mark,

Thanks. I knew it didn't sound like a normal major key should, but it is, after all, a blues progression so the D makes sense.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Ben, on second thoughts, playing my imaginary fretboard on my desk, it's E C# B G#

I'm about to head to rehearsal now, so once I've got a bass in my hands I'll be able to confirm for sure.
aussiemark

Postby Ben Esparza » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm

aussiemark wrote:Ben, on second thoughts, playing my imaginary fretboard on my desk, it's E C# B G#

Mark,

I just ried that sequence of notes and it sounds like the opening verse of Christmas carol "Silver Bells"..."Busy sidewalks..........."!
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby aussiemark » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Ben Esparza wrote:
aussiemark wrote:Ben, on second thoughts, playing my imaginary fretboard on my desk, it's E C# B G#

Mark,

I just ried that sequence of notes and it sounds like the opening verse of Christmas carol "Silver Bells"..."Busy sidewalks..........."!

LOL. It is the correct bassline though. Open E first, then run down C# - B - G#
aussiemark

Postby Ben Esparza » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Turns out that G# is the first note of the guitar hook during the verse. Other than that, you're absolutely right. Thanks, Mark.
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Return to CHARTS & THEORY