Got Good Time?

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

Got Good Time?

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Metronome Masochism (courtesy of Ed Friedland) -

Got this from one of Ed's books. He recommends not only playing with a metronome with all 4 clicks in a measure, but then slowing the metronome by half and letting the clicks represent the 1 and the 3 in a standard measure. Oh, but it gets more fun, try letting the clicks represent the 2 and the 4 now (aka the backbeat). Gets a bit trickier. Now slow that metronome all the way down 40 bpm or 20 bpm. Annoyed yet?

But wait, there's more:

Cut your metronome speed in half again. Now let each click represent the 1 of a measure. You're responsible for the other 3 beats. Got it nailed?

Now let the click represent the 3. A little tricker, but not too bad. Now for some serious humiliation...

Let the click represent the 2 of each measure. This really sucked. Took me several days just to get it dialed in playing simple quarter notes.

Finally, let the click represent the 4 of each measure. Should be easier now that you've mastered the 2.

For more fun, try playing lines with a lot of space in them like funk (James Brown is good for this), R&B/Hip Hop, Country, or Reggae.

I spent the past 4 weeks discovering just how crappy my time is when I don't have a drummer to lock in with and made a lot of progress developing my internal clock. This is a frustrating and humbling exercise, but I will probably come back to it a few times a year, because as a member of the rhythm of the rhythm section, I don't think I'll ever get to a place where my time is "too good".

Hope this is helpful to somebody and I apologize in advance for any frustration it may cause. (Hey, I'm just the messenger).
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: Got Good Time?

Postby Golem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

`

A certain effect of using a metrognome amuses me.
Mebbe it works for others ... or mebbe I'm a weirdo.

Play are run of 1/4s that you truly bleeb you can do
in rock solid steady time. Play a few times thru with
no gnome, then switch on the gnome. IMPORTANT:
Have No Doubts about your perfect time. Now ....
switch on the gnome. It's just amazing ! The gnome
will speed up and slow down, all by itself, while you
play in your solid steady time :-)

I find that my gnome speeds up mostly where the
fingering gets a bit awkward and slows down where
the fingering is 'finger-friendly'. Weird, huh ?

I spoze I'm just easily amused .....

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Return to CHARTS & THEORY