Roll Call - How Many Years Have You Been Playing???

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

Postby ReneGiust » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:23 am

From 1985 - 1986.

Stopped.

From 1990 - 1991.

Stopped.

From 1995 - present.
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

30 -odd

Postby chuckroast » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:00 pm

learned violin as a kid for abt 3 or 4 years, late 60's. Got a bass around 71, fender mustang. Played pro for abt 6 years in late 70's and 80's, played part time after that for a while. Put it away for about 10 years due to night school, parenthood, etc... got it strung back up this year.

With violin I could read music, but not much use for it. In fact a so called "teacher" that I took "bass lessons" from at a music store when I started pretty much soured me on sight reading. Just listen and play. I pulled an A in music theory in HS by visualizing everything on the fretboard - I know I shoulda learned piano keys for that but I'm dense.
chuckroast

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Don Kane wrote:Started playing clarinet and sax in 1957, then started playing bass in 1963. Much cooler being a bass player in High School than a clarinetist.

Or Baritone [smilie=fun_84.gif]
1965 but sadly dormant for the last 9 years
Rob Francis

Postby Johnny_B_Badd » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:30 pm

Oh how I look back on my mislead life. lol It all began at 8 years old with a hand me down set of slingerlands that my sister just couldn't play. By 10, was on stage with Ruth Russell, a C&W act out of Delaware County (it was just a couple of songs, but it placed the love of music deep in my soul). Joined my first band by 14 as a bassist, in clubs by 16 (2 years underage and drinking with the big boys and girls). 6 months later, I'm the rhythm guitarist in the same band. And the rest is spent being a utility player. It sucked, but it kept me playing. :)

Now I'm in my 40's and watching my kids go through this music stuff now. 21 year old daughter who's excellent on the bass (upright and electric), plus plays trumpet and guitar. A 17 year old son that's pretty good on the guitar. And an 11 year old son who is very good on the drums. Nothing warms my heart more than to see this 11 year old kid wailing on a set of tama's with a pair of 24's. :)
Tube Amplification and a Full Range cabinet. Life just doesn't get any louder... :)
Johnny_B_Badd

Postby billbern » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:28 am

since '66
i'm 52 now
lucky enough to still be playing most weekends
billbern

Postby Armybass » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 am

84 till present..... 22 years.
Armybass

Postby onamission » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Pure Bass since '74 with a few short breaks here and there. These days I can't stop thinkin about playin bass. Dad was a swing drummer for years, still has his Radio Kings. Bro is the Guitar player and professional in the family. Yes, he actually makes a living in music, Amazing?!?!
onamission

Postby Aragorn35016 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:41 am

Been playing 13 years (started in 94 at age 15). Mostly self taught but did take Music Theory in college for 2 years. Its wierd to have been playing almost as long as I had been alive when I started. Starting to feel old!! Devoted that much time and unfortunately not much better than I was when I was 19.
Aragorn35016

Postby Freddels » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Let's see. Started on drums (with lessons) at 7. Accordian from age 8 until 12 (don't ask but the door to door accordian salesman came to the door when my mother was home). Started playing bass in 1975-76. Went to Berklee and then North Texas. Stopped playing pretty much after 1988 (life happened). [smilie=fun_84.gif] Picked up URB (again) in 2005. Started on EB again in April of 2006 until present.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Uberjam » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 am

Started with trumpet in the 6th grade. Begged for a bass in the 8th grade after seeing an episode of SNL with an upright in the featured band. No clue who the band was. Got an electric some time later. Self taught for a few years before doing all the high school jazz stuff that I could do and forming a blues/jam sophomore year. First real gig at 15, it tasted good. Then some college... just played for a few years. Then I joined the Army Band. Which I don't recommend at this stage in my career. I guess I've been playing about eleven years now. My favorite thing to do is find the pocket and snuggle down into it all warm and cozy like.
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor

Extra toys:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Boss overdrive
Digi-tech sub octave synth
Boss loop station
Boss super octave
Boss bass chorus
Boss bass synth
Boss flanger

Recording gear:
Macbook
Ableton live 8
Korg Pandora's box PX5D
Boss DR3 Drum Machine

Postby jhp » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:33 am

Wow, thanks everybody. You make me feel young again!

Started on cello back in 94, and I absolutely had to get a bass around my 18th b-day in '01. In the meantime I've picked up a couple of sixers too, but I'll always be the bassist.
-John

This moment contains all moments - C.S. Lewis
jhp

Postby jefbar » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Been on bass since '84; played piano and french horn before that. From '91 to '96 I was primarily a six-stringer due to no steady gigs, but that's my only real "hiatus".
Jeff
jefbar

Since '66

Postby 1954bassman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:07 pm

What can I say? Long history. I still practice and push myself when I play. I thank God I am still able to play. I play all I can now, because if I live long enough, there will come a time when I will not be able to play.

Mark
Mark

Bass with Grace

The Older I Get,
the less I knew
1954bassman

Postby hoytbasses » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:46 am

started on trumpet 1960, (Moses was in my class) bass in about 1966: first band in 67, and ever since:

holy crap... that's 40 years on bass!

Karl" officially an old bastid" Hoyt

the good news is I'm building some stringed instruments for my grandkids !

akrl hoty
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Smakbass » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:06 am

Started on Tuba in 82, started on Bass in 83 so thats a long time haha im 36 now. I did take a few years of not playing in bands and would only maybe pick it up every few weeks.
Smakbass

PreviousNext

Return to CHARTS & THEORY