Interval Samples

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

Interval Samples

Postby GonzoBass » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:45 pm

http://www.musicalintervalstutor.info/listenpg.html

Found this on another site,
but thought it was worth sharing.

I like the familiar song titles idea to recognize the intervals,
which was something one of my students brought home from BIT.

Eh, worth a look for ear training.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Re: Interval Samples

Postby Golem » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:19 pm

`

Thank you. Me Likey. Very good training stuff, even if their terminology differs from what I've been taught.

Major 2nd = full step, but minor 2nd = 1/2 step ??? Not from Golem's teachers.

To me, a 2nd is minor simply by its function, and it *IS* a full step. A half step would be a flatted minor 2nd. This stuff used to make me nutzo, but now that I'm continuously nutzo it just doesn't matter :-b

Y'know, I'm down with the terminology of theguitarguy.com. TGG uses a vocabulary where there is no "major 7th". "A 7th" is a 1/2step above a 6th. The next 1/2step above that he calls a flatted 1 or flatted 8. Makes good sense to me. Name follows function, and there's no ambiguity about the meaning of "a 7th". Me likey.

[Dangerous musings below .... ]

As a basser, I have a philosophy about TGG's system: If the 7th is not the 12th chromatic step, but only the 11th, and **IF** an octave begins with the root, the 1, then his octaves are either short by one chromatic step, or we hafta figger the flatted root is one of the 12 steps, but where-oh-where does it go ? end or beginning ? I like to think it goes at the beginning. IOW the root of my octave is actually the second chromatic step. That way, my octaves begin with a leading tone, which makes them more functional, more musical, more real and less mathmatically theoretical. It's the Descriptive, rather than Prescriptive, approach to music theory, aka the "Whatever Works" school of music theory.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Re: Interval Samples

Postby Uberjam » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:47 pm

"Whatever works" is good if you only plan on playing with yourself. The language of music is just that, a language. And in order to communicate with other musicians it's best if we are atleast somewhat on the same page so to speak.

Flatted root? I'm not sure about this guitar guy but I can tell you the reason it's called a root is not because of it's pitch but it's function. If you flat the root of the octave above itself it ceases to be a root at all. It's now a major 7th because that's what it's function will be.

You mentioned that a 2nd is minor because of it's function. I think you've meshed together to aspects of tonality. The function of modes and the theory of scale degrees.

A scale degree is just each step of a scale. The 2nd or 3rd or 6th or whatever is just a designation for an understood distance between the root and a given pitch. So in your example the 2nd in a D major scale would be E natural. And the 2nd in the D locrian scale would be Eb.

Now if you're thinking modally then the 2nd mode functions as a minor tonality. So if you were reading a chart with a ii-V-I progression in it, the ii would be an example of the 2nd in a modal function.

But I have heard classical cats say 2nd and simply mean a whole step.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh but if I was at a gig and told somebody the chord had a flatted root I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be asked back. I recommend
http://www.musicdojo.com

They have a Harmony and Theory class that is great. Plus if you get a chance to take any classes from Adam Nitti do that for sure. He is great.

Hope I've cleared the air a little bit or atleast pointed you in the right direction.
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor