"Day Tripper"

Steve Lawson and Gonzo can get you thinking out of the box right here.

"Day Tripper"

Postby Lieutenant Dan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks for all of the help with "City of New Orleans", especially Golem for providing that chart. I'm all set on that tune now....it's time to tackle "Day Tripper" tonight.

I tried to play along with it a couple of times in my solo practice sessions with my band's cd. It's frustrating because I know this has to be a simple riff, and if I get this riff I've got the tune.
Lieutenant Dan

Re: "Day Tripper"

Postby Golem » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm

`

Now here's the tricky thing with fret/string TAB. You can copy and paste the text, but you really ought to view or print it in a really simple editor like NotePad, and even more important be sure to view it in a monospaced [nonproprtional] font such as 'Courier' or 'Terminal'. The graphical presentation is designed around monospacing, and if viewed in proportional spacing [which is 99% of fonts overall] then some stuff may not line up properly:

Beatles - Day Tripper
(bass)

#----------------------------------PLEASE NOTE---------------------------------#
#This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation of the-#
#song. You may only use this file for private study, scholarship, or research.-#
#---------------This file was downloaded from http://www.taborama.com-----------------#
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

artist-the Beatles
song-Day Tripper

Lick-1
G---------------------------------------
D--------------2-0---4---0-2------------
A------------2-----2---2----------------
E----0---3-4----------------------------

G--------------2-0---4---0-2------------
D------------2-----2---2----------------
A----0---3-4----------------------------
E---------------------------------------
Lick-2
G-------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------
E--2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2
Lick-2 (cont.)
D-------------------------------------------------
A-----------------4-4-4-4-2-2-2-2-----------------
E-5-5-5-5-4-4-4-4---------------------------------

Above is just something I happen to have on file. I don't play it, never really looked at it, and I don't have a regular normal lead sheet. I have a std notation Beatles book, if I can ever get it back from m'bro's GF :-/

I can't play from fret/string TAB, makes me insane[r]. I transcribe it into a string of notes and then hafta figger what the changes really are. Helps a lot if the tabsters tell you what key they're in. I suppose most of the time they don't know. They just play notes, which when played in a row to a fairly even beat, they refer to as 'the song'. Looks OK. When I read it along and do a little 'air fretting' I think I hear the right tune in my head .......

Always assume there are crazy mistakes. But it's better than nuthin', especially if there's a signature riff involved. I think it's Em to Am, but I could be wrong. Rotsaruk.

`
Last edited by Golem on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Lieutenant Dan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Damn....I should have known it was in E. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] Feel stupid now. LOL

Thanks Golem! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Lieutenant Dan

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Nice explanation Golem!

'Tis true,
different font's make your tab line up wrong
but sometimes it will make your tune sound more "jazzy" if played as written that way.
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby ReneGiust » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm

I believe the "E" part of Lick #1 should be an octave higher than shown in the tab above. That is, transpose the lick shown an octave up... start on the E at the 7th fret of the A string.

Also, Lick #2 is more involved that straight 8th on the root. It's actually way cooler than that and is well worth learning.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Postby Golem » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 am

ReneGiust wrote:I believe the "E" part of Lick #1 should be an octave higher than shown in the tab above. That is, transpose the lick shown an octave up... start on the E at the 7th fret of the A string.

Also, Lick #2 is more involved that straight 8th on the root. It's actually way cooler than that and is well worth learning.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
`

Roun heah, we feel free to correk ya even when you right !!!

Anywayz, I gotta cornfeshun: When I was reading along the TAB and and 'air fretting', I thought it was right cuz a famiar Beatle-esque tune came to my mind's ear .... but now I realize that it wasn't Day Tripper is was Birthday. See why I hate TAB ? Jeeezssh.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby sflajimmy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm

I believe the "E" part of Lick #1 should be an octave higher than shown in the tab above. That is, transpose the lick shown an octave up... start on the E at the 7th fret of the A string.

That is correct for the intro but then you drop to the lower octave when the lyrics start.
sflajimmy

Return to CHARTS & THEORY